Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle issues! Self-fix by fuse pull/re-insertion!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because there might be capacitors and such in the circuit and the ECUs can hold a charge for a bit, waiting five minutes allows everything in that circuit to completely power down. It's the same idea as waiting until the fan totally stops when powering off and on a computer.

Waited 10 minutes, still didn't fix it. Like I said earlier it seems that there isn't a fuse for the FRONT doors, just the rear. It sure seems like it's something electrical and not a physical problem with the door handle.

My work around is to open the windows with the key fob and then open the door from the inside until service can get here. No response on the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Because there might be capacitors and such in the circuit and the ECUs can hold a charge for a bit, waiting five minutes allows everything in that circuit to completely power down. It's the same idea as waiting until the fan totally stops when powering off and on a computer.

Waited 10 minutes, still didn't fix it. Like I said earlier it seems that there isn't a fuse for the FRONT doors, just the rear. It sure seems like it's something electrical and not a physical problem with the door handle.

My work around is to open the windows with the key fob and then open the door from the inside until service can get here. No response on the weekend.

We just experienced both passenger side door handles not presenting (and tapping the handle would not make it come out). Drivers side was fine.

Happened when we left to go out for breakfast this morning. But they worked fine when we left the breakfast place. Odd.

I'm going to check the fuses to make sure they are seated.

Edit: Just checked the fuse boxes in the frunk. Nearly all the fuses were not properly seated. I've pushed them all in -- hopefully that does the trick...

Last edited:
Yesterday my car decided to not let me in from the drivers door. I approached the car with the FOB, handles auto-presented, grab handle as usual and...nothing. All other doors worked properly only the drivers door didn't work. It did this all day and I had to use the FOB to roll down the windows and use the interior handle to get in the car.

I tried the recommendation of this thread of removing fuses and letting them sit out for 10+ minutes. Didn't work. So I emailed my service center rep and he was going to get me in today to take care of it. I ended up declining the appt since I had too much stuff going on this weekend plus I have an appointment to get my windshield fixed next Friday so I was going to do it all at the same time.

Fast forward to today and my wife and I were heading out to run errands and I, completely forgetting that the handle doesn't work, reached for the handle and the door opened once touched.

I have no idea why the handle would stop working for exactly one day but that's what happened.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edit: Just checked the fuse boxes in the frunk. Nearly all the fuses were not properly seated. I've pushed them all in -- hopefully that does the trick...

I did that shortly after taking delivery of the car because I'd read of numerous issues with "loose" fuses. Most of mine were not properly seated either. I'm not sure if that was a factory issue, or whether they work themselves loose over time. I'm thinking the former.

This post says to disable autopresent and lock

That worked for me.

Two days ago our left rear door handle stopped working. It would go in and out with the rest of the handles, but the light wasn't on, and you couldn't open it. Manual lock/unlock didn't work. Resetting both dash computers didn't work. Pushing in all the fuses didn't work. But I just disabled handle autopresent and lock on walkaway, then re-enabled them - et viola.

So in my case, at least, it was a sticky software state of some sort rather than hardware.

touching on this topic my drivers side doors won't unlock or auto present also, and also from inside of the car the drivers side controls on the door trim wont unlock or lock the doors or also open any windows , as well as the mirror controls, any ideas? am I experiencing also the same problem as you guys are ?

touching on this topic my drivers side doors won't unlock or auto present also, and also from inside of the car the drivers side controls on the door trim wont unlock or lock the doors or also open any windows , as well as the mirror controls, any ideas? am I experiencing also the same problem as you guys are ?

I just had the same problem this month. I had an appointment with a ranger at my home, but it started working the day before the appointment. Then I took the car in for service. They tried to replicate the problem for an hour according to the service report (spraying the car with water). No luck. Some of the paperwork suggests that there is a control module in the door. One thing that I learned is that if you can tell the date/time when you had the problem there is some log that they can look at. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me that until they returned the car, unfixed.