Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle light too deep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gabeincal

Jul 5, 2016
SF Bay, CA
Hi

I've raised this problem with 2 separate SC's (Sunnyvale and San Rafael) and they've both said it is what it is and apparently my car matches other MS cars.

The problem is that some of my door handles sit too deep, therefore the ambient projecting light is not visible anywhere on the car or most importantly on the floor, but they light inside the door. See the video for a better description.

I'm having San Rafael SC have a look at it again next week, but it would be good to know if others have had the same problem and got it resolved and / or how easy it is to adjust these handles DIY since Tesla seems to say 'as designed'....

Thanks!

Hi

I've raised this problem with 2 separate SC's (Sunnyvale and San Rafael) and they've both said it is what it is and apparently my car matches other MS cars.

The problem is that some of my door handles sit too deep, therefore the ambient projecting light is not visible anywhere on the car or most importantly on the floor, but they light inside the door. See the video for a better description.

I'm having San Rafael SC have a look at it again next week, but it would be good to know if others have had the same problem and got it resolved and / or how easy it is to adjust these handles DIY since Tesla seems to say 'as designed'....

Thanks!

Yes similar situation here but only on my driver's door the other three are okay it's a minor nuisance but I can see where one might want to get it fixed. I would if the fix where simple, but since the handle still functions just fine I just let it go. In addition to the driver's door handle not sliding out as far as the others when it presents I also noticed that when I open the driver's door the window drops considerably further than any of the other doors. The two are connected somehow as I can see the handle moving when the window repositions itself after the door is closed.

Yes similar situation here but only on my driver's door the other three are okay it's a minor nuisance but I can see where one might want to get it fixed. I would if the fix where simple, but since the handle still functions just fine I just let it go. In addition to the driver's door handle not sliding out as far as the others when it presents I also noticed that when I open the driver's door the window drops considerably further than any of the other doors. The two are connected somehow as I can see the handle moving when the window repositions itself after the door is closed.

Thanks for the data point @tccartier. I think 2 of my 4 are normal but I haven't seen the window issue that you're describing. I paid for premium package and this feature was one of the things included in the PUP. I simply want what I paid for - besides, the light is there and I just find it unacceptable that it's not being used for its function purely of laziness to check it / adjust it / replace it on my car...

Reactions: Gur814
All of my handles were slightly sunken in, some really bad..

When I had Tesla Mobile service here for uncorking my 75D I requested that they be adjusted. Popped the door cover and simple screw adjustment for each and they are all perfectly level with door.

The lights are still not optimal, but at least they are the same.

Last edited:
I tok have complained about it .. I was told that the newest handles (which they use when replacing) does not get out as far as the old, and the led is in the same place.
So it's an unfortunate design error.

I wish they made proper handles, in the winter time here north it's a really nice detail...if they actually looked as intended and protruded symmetrically on both doors on the same side.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
I brought this up to service a while ago because there was barely any light coming from the drivers door handle. The rest of the doors were fine. They claimed to adjust it, but it didn't help. I think the issue went away when they replaced the entire handle (for other reasons).

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
Hi

Thanks!

I have this problem on a March 2018 MS 100D. This was not a problem on my Mid 2014 MS