Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle not presenting after vinyl wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 Signature P85 passenger door handle just stopped presenting. These handles have been replaced by Tesla in the past so I'm not sure which Gen handle I have. The pressure sensor is working, when I touch the handle all the other doors present and I can hear the motor spin trying to present.

Is this the symptom of a failed paddle? I plan to DIY the repair and would like to order parts before taking apart the door.

I wrapped my door handles in carbon fiber vinyl a week ago. I don't think there's any interference... But has anyone else noticed vinyl wrapped handles failing more quickly?

I doubt the vinyl wrap has much to do with any interference (although hard to tell without seeing your wrap install) and I'd guess the paddle just failed. Tesla has a new variant, but you can also get them at EV Tuning:

Tesla Model S Stainless Steel "Paddle Gear" Replacement for 1042845-00-A

I recently had Mobile Service retrofit/upgrade one of my door handles to the Gen3 variant and this is what the old and new paddle looks like (newer on top):

2019-07-29-door-handle-fixed-01.jpg

I doubt the vinyl wrap has much to do with any interference (although hard to tell without seeing your wrap install) and I'd guess the paddle just failed. Tesla has a new variant, but you can also get them at EV Tuning:

Tesla Model S Stainless Steel "Paddle Gear" Replacement for 1042845-00-A

I recently had Mobile Service retrofit/upgrade one of my door handles to the Gen3 variant and this is what the old and new paddle looks like (newer on top):

2019-07-29-door-handle-fixed-01.jpg
$75!?!

Pretty sure I was reading other locations that that newer skeletonized version paddle gear can be had for around $5. I'd definitely shop around before you pull the trigger for $75.

If you still have the older handle with micro switches a break in the frail wires can also cause that failure. So you either have to open the door up to diagnose or just order the kit linked elsewhere in this forum that has both a replacement gear and higher quality wires. The repair is not hard but the space is tight and bolts fiddly.

My 2012 Signature P85 passenger door handle just stopped presenting. These handles have been replaced by Tesla in the past so I'm not sure which Gen handle I have. The pressure sensor is working, when I touch the handle all the other doors present and I can hear the motor spin trying to present.

Is this the symptom of a failed paddle? I plan to DIY the repair and would like to order parts before taking apart the door.

I wrapped my door handles in carbon fiber vinyl a week ago. I don't think there's any interference... But has anyone else noticed vinyl wrapped handles failing more quickly?

mine did that, it was one of the microswitches, the one that unlocks the paddle or whichever. basically it just spins the motor but never engages the "stop" trigger so it goes forever and ever

The mobile tech removed my window for easier access to remove the handle assembly when my door handle was intermittent.

The tech that repaired mine didn't bother removing the window and removed the window sweep on the inside (as well as the brightwork/chrome trim on the outside) to get better access to that last bolt near the top of the door. When I attempted the repair myself, that was the one thing that eluded me.

mine did that, it was one of the microswitches, the one that unlocks the paddle or whichever. basically it just spins the motor but never engages the "stop" trigger so it goes forever and ever

Interesting. My motor stops when it should. Also, the touch sensor is still working so touching the broken handle presents all other handles.

If I manually get between the body and the handle I can pull the handle out. That does nothing though, the handle won't open the door and it falls right back into place flush with the door as soon as you release it.

Interesting. My motor stops when it should. Also, the touch sensor is still working so touching the broken handle presents all other handles..

There are two micro switches if I’m remembering correctly, if I had to guess one is the ‘touch sensor’ and the other indicates the current handle position so if broken the handle doesn’t move. That’s what appeared to happen on mine.

For those who have had a failed paddle gear, what were the noises you heard? I have a handle failing to present, but do not hear a motor running, only the noise of what seems to be loose metal clanging around when the door is shut.

For those who have had a failed paddle gear, what were the noises you heard? I have a handle failing to present, but do not hear a motor running, only the noise of what seems to be loose metal clanging around when the door is shut.

I've had both front doors' paddle gears failed on me. You will hear the gear motor running. Your issue might be something else.