Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle not presenting when touched, failed pressure sensor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased and replaced the pressure sensor on their Model S door handles? I see almost no discussion regarding the pressure sensor. It appears this is not the normal microswitch that fails, nor is the broken paddle.

The front door handles on my 2015 P85D do not present when they are touched. The back handles present when touched. All four handles present when the car is unlocked with the key fob or unlocked from the touchscreen.

I've done a number of door handle repairs and spent quite some time searching the forums and internet for information on this problem. I haven't seen much discussion on if there is a fix for this. Thanks in advance for any help!

Has anyone purchased and replaced the pressure sensor on their Model S door handles? I see almost no discussion regarding the pressure sensor. It appears this is not the normal microswitch that fails, nor is the broken paddle.

The front door handles on my 2015 P85D do not present when they are touched. The back handles present when touched. All four handles present when the car is unlocked with the key fob or unlocked from the touchscreen.

I've done a number of door handle repairs and spent quite some time searching the forums and internet for information on this problem. I haven't seen much discussion on if there is a fix for this. Thanks in advance for any help!
My 2018 MS 100D driver side door handle stopped working. I called Tesla and they fixed it on warranty. Ok so far...

My 2018 MS 100D driver side door handle stopped working. I called Tesla and they fixed it on warranty. Ok so far...
Thanks. I'm out of warranty, unfortunately.

Did your handle just stop presenting as I described? Or did you have another type of problem? Do you know if Tesla simply replaced the handle assembly, or repaired you existing handle?

These are one of the most common things to break on the Model S. They can fail in all sorts of ways.

I did a little research and found what I believe to be the pressure sensor. It doesn't look adjustable and I don't see anyone selling replacement parts. I'm guessing I will need to purchase the parts from a salvaged car or buy a whole new handle assembly.

I just had my passenger front door handle replaced to fix the pressure switch issue. My symptoms were the same as yours. Here is the list of parts (replaced under warranty):

ASY- FR RH, GEN3 DH, NOGRIP, 2.1 SVC RPL(1135725-S0-A)
LED ASY, DOOR HANDLE 3.1 OUTER RH(1109174-00-A)
ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE 3.0 CTLR(1069651-00-D)
ASY,PIGTAIL,MDLS,DOOR HANDLE,FRONT(1069106-00-B)
PUSH-NUT 5/32"x17/64"x1/32"(1067906-00-A)
ASY PLATE, FR DOOR, RH(1037846-00-D)
BACK SEAL, DOOR HANDLE OUTER, RH(1021114-00-E)
SCR PF 50x12 DELTA PT STL ZNNI(1009289-00-B)

As I bought the car when it was 4 1/2 years old, I'm not sure if this handle was old without a modular pressure switch so they had to replace the whole handle.

I believe it is this sensor that OP is referring to and I think it’s the same kind of Panasonic sensor that Tesla is using on the doors. Can’t find it right now (I posted this on one discussion...) but Panasonic has different type of that sensor on the handles that can be changed as the commonly braking handle sensors. I have yet did it on my passenger door but will eventually need to.

So far I’ve had mobile tech replaced all four of my doors. They all broke about 3-5 months apart from each other this past year. Lol
About 300 to replace them.

Mine just failed completely!.. doesn't present (no attempt too), and if I use a credit card to pull handle, nothing happens!... only bit working is the led. Inspected the assembly, wires and microswitches, but all look OK, and microswitches work. Any ideas ?

What's odd.. is this happened the same day I approved the quote for Tesla to do a CCS upgrade (in the UK) !

Last edited:
Mine just failed completely!.. doesn't present (no attempt too), and if I use a credit card to pull handle, nothing happens!... only bit working is the led. Inspected the assembly, wires and microswitches, but all look OK, and microswitches work. Any ideas ?

What's odd.. is this happened the same day I approved the quote for Tesla to do a CCS upgrade (in the UK) !
Have you figured out what it was?

I just had both my driver and passenger door handles go within a week .. one had a bad motor so I swapped it from the other one and it works fine.. but still have 1 broken on.. replaced the micro switches, and checked everything else and looks fine. The only thing I noticed that the plastic/metal upside down U shaped touch sensor behind the big bolt is loose...

I have this issue on two of my handles now.

Do the kits to fix the door handles come with the pressure switch, or is that a separate part? Anyone know?
Pressure sensor is a separate part that is not included in any set as far as I know. Not sure if Tesla or any company sells it separate.

Unfortunately there are more components that can fail like the microswitch harness but they are less common but do happen.

Pressure sensor, motor or module can also fail so door if handle fails it isn't always the switches

Is ASQ10410 the pressure switch?

Would I need to remove the old switch and solder the new one on the harness?

Not too much info out there on this. My handles work fine, except they do not present if the car is unlocked and I push on them, so it's definitely the pressure switch that's the culprit. Seems like all the repair kits out there address a completely different issue.

I believe the pressure switch (or is it a sensor as others) is the one that senses the push effect on the handle, see on photo attached, marked by red arrow. I have also working passenger front handle that just don’t react to the pushing but does extracts if clicking on the padlock icon on screen or pushing any other handle. Haven’t had time to get to the fix as we still have quite low temperatures outside. There on the file are sensors with wires and I believe this one seen on the photo is the Simulated leaf lever version so more like ASQ10228

1F1AE68E-02C6-45EC-9A48-2F42C38738A4.jpeg