TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door handle not working

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by goelec1640, Apr 23, 2013.

1. goelec1640

goelec1640 Member

Anyone have trouble with door exterior door not working? The handle comes out but does not respond when you touch it to open. You can open from the inside. Guess I will have to add that to my fix it list along with the condensation in the rear tail light.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That would be a problem with the microswitch adjustment, most likely. This is not a field adjustment, so service will have to replace the door handle.

3. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I have the same issue. Was told its a "known issue". I think they have to replace the handle, which apparently takes the service center a couple of hours. At least you know it's not just your car.

4. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I can confirm. I had this done a few weeks ago.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Had this once with my front passenger door. I tugged on the handle, but nothing. I locked and unlocked the car, and it started working again. As I say, just the once.

6. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

Had this a few times with the passenger door, and with the trunk.

The passenger door; if I move & open the rear door, the front door then works.

The trunk; I just jiggle my keys in my pocket and half the time it then works.

Strange stuff. Doesn't happen every day, but often enough to cause a worry when I go to demo the car.

7. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Just got this with my driver's door. :-(

8. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

In my car I got 2 weeks ago, the auto present only works about 50% of the time but at least it opens when I touch it.

I have a loaner car I picked up yesterday at the San Diego service center and it is having this problem. Several times yesterday although I opened it and the door handle was out, it wouldn't open. I have to click and open and reopen the lock several times before I can get in. This car is a P85 on 4.5 software. Annoying.

9. hans

hans P631

I've had this happen three times in 9 months of ownership. Its the achilles heel of the model S. Each time I take it in and they replace the entire handle assembly. They have trouble keeping enough handles in the service center.

They have redesigned the handles a few times to try and get better reliability. The most obvious change was adding a bit of movement to the handle when you pull it. I ended up with quite a mix of old and new style handles on the car. Last week when my drivers door handle failed, they just went ahead and swapped out all the remaining old style handles for new ones.

10. lloyds

lloyds Member

Doesn't happen to me all the time, but it does very randomly. I'd say 10% of the time it will not open.

11. hans

hans P631

#11 hans, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    There is one issue with doors not opening once in a while. It's completely a different thing when they break and don't work at all.

Maybe the OP can clarify if the door's failure to open is an occasional thing or permanent?

12. texex91

texex91 Banned

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't one want their door handles to work 100% of the time?

I know I do.

13. hans

hans P631

If it were possible, yes. Does anyone have Model S handles that work 100% of the time?

14. texex91

texex91 Banned

I would assume--I guess not.

Seems like a simple thing to ask of a car manufacturer--have handles that work all of the time. Never had a car that didn't.

15. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Little over 4 months, handles have worked perfectly 100% of the time.

16. texex91

texex91 Banned

Alright--I knew it could be possible :cool:

17. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Yes, switched for new R R at Tesla center vin 3507, they said YES, no problem, now drivers door acting up.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

From November until the week of Teslive - Yes.

From a week after Teslive until now - Yes.

During my Teslive vacation, my driver handle started flaking out at the Buellton supercharger. I had my v1 handles replaced and no drama since.

19. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

On firmware versions that are downloaded with a laptop(initial and service center), the handles work flawlessly 100% of the time for me. Once you get an over the air update, there are a few quirks that show up every once in a while. I would attribute weird handle and other sporadic malfunctions to incomplete firmware downloads most of the time.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think there are two things going on here. I agree that a lot of the sporadic malfunctions are due to firmware issues, but I'm also convinced a lot are mechanical. For example, when I put my car in Park and one or more doors pops open on its own as the handles extend, I'm convinced that's the microswitch inadvertently activating as the handle rolls out (i.e. a mechanical fault).