Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle pinched my hand while retracting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The forum software suggested these threads. So it's possible to get a pain under certain circumstances. I doubt my handles are defective. I think I just got caught at a pinch point. I think my fob batteries just came from the factory with low battery life and they're struggling to perform properly. I'll have them checked when I bring my car in.

The one caveat I must make is that my son once pinched his fingers. I think the sequence was he quickly got his hand in while the door was only partway presented and managed to get his finders inside the door a bit. There's a back plate that is flush with the door when the handle is presented, but while it's only part way out you can actually get down into the door between the back plate and the outside of the door. The handle finished presenting and actually pinched his finger causing many tears. After 21k miles this only happened once and I think it is only possible with some very quick movement and serious goofing around..

I agree with both observations from this thread - usually it hasn't hurt me, but in some corner cases maybe a little:

If indeed the finger(s) get caught partially while it is retracting, it can feel a lot more forceful than it actually is - once it nibbled at my finger tips a little and it hurt. I guess in this scenario the handle has reached "maximum" energy while closing and the fingertip, moving upwards, doesn't provide enough of a counter, so the soft tissue on the head of the finger gets pinched (and may give the sensation that you just avoided something bad happening, although in reality it was as bad as it could get).

In other news, apparently this thread will never die so I figured I'll keep posting in it to keep it at the top. Why not? We'll see how many pages we can get. I'm shooting for 17. I know, lofty goal. But I think we can do it if a few more people get irritated. Who here has feathers that are currently unruffled that would be okay with some ruffling?

And plastic bags? And soda? I mean. Really. Right? Geez. Both of them? Hmm.

Last edited:
In other news, apparently this thread will never die so I figured I'll keep posting in it to keep it at the top. Why not? We'll see how many pages we can get. I'm shooting for 17. I know, lofty goal. But I think we can do it if a few more people get irritated. Who here has feathers that are currently unruffled that would be okay with some ruffling?

Continued discussion is fine, but there's no need to needlessly push it to the top unless there's something new. Especially with a thread as contentious as this one.

No laws against plastic bags here, so, everyone still uses them. Personally I find them super convenient. And I "recycle" them by using them as trash bags in all of the small trash cans around the house. Works out well. I never remember to bring reusable bags. :(

I'll have to have my wife snap a photo next time I'm carrying groceries... lol

Continued discussion is fine, but there's no need to needlessly push it to the top unless there's something new. Especially with a thread as contentious as this one.

Oh I agree completely. The good news is that every time I walk up to my car the handles present, and every time I close the doors they retract. I'm always giddy that each time there's going to be something new to report to my people. :tongue:

But, alas, my challenge has drawn to a close - we've reached our goal of 17 pages. Well done, everyone. Please consider the contest closed, and the winners will be notified by certified mail within 6-8 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

No laws against plastic bags here, so, everyone still uses them. Personally I find them super convenient. And I "recycle" them by using them as trash bags in all of the small trash cans around the house. Works out well. I never remember to bring reusable bags.

That's actually called "reusing" not "recycling". Recycling prevents the material from being discarded, you're actually sending them straight to the landfill so that's not recycling. But I assume you're using the grocery bag in lieu of another trash bag, so it's still a benefit and I applaud the effort. You can actually recycle the bags directly at most grocery stores. Most plastic bags are recycled into composite lumber apparently.

I don't think the link is broken. I just think TTT didn't realize the post he linked to was not public. You and I don't have permission to see it.

TTT: If you know the original poster of the video, could you ask them to change the permissions on that post to make it public? Or could you download the video and share it somewhere else publicly?

Well, it's broken for me. :p

Can this be a law suit waiting to happen? The Tesla massive recall to install sensors!!

I'm afraid kids will stick their hand in and the handle will break their hand!
There's a lot of back and forth in this thread, but nowhere could anyone have reasonably gotten than someone's hand, even a child, could be broken by this. It's just not like that. Pinch, sure. Get startled, yank it out, and make it worse, possibly. But the retraction itself isn't going to really injure anyone. Sensors would be nice, but I don't really see this as something worthy of pinning a liability issue on. It's not that big a deal, IMO.