Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Presentation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression that the door handles would present when touched even when the Auto-Present setting was turned off. That indeed has been the case with the front doors, but not the rear doors.

Is the "normal"?

2014, VIN 58564, tech package and "auto pilot"

I thought so to. WHen I first got the car, I could have sworn it worked. I got my passenger rear door handle replaced and now it works.
The door handle will only present if you have unlocked the car, (either with button or came to the door and the door handles then retract back; kinda of a standby mode0

I was under the impression that the door handles would present when touched even when the Auto-Present setting was turned off. That indeed has been the case with the front doors, but not the rear doors.

Is the "normal"?

My car does exactly this. Very irritating when you walk up with groceries in your hands and you have to walk to the front and push on the door handle to get the back door handle to present. I hate these door handles. Wish Tesla had an option to get more "normal" handles.

I asked the service center about it and they (and I may not have understood him - the explanation was long and confusing to me) said that's the way its supposed to work.

My car does exactly this. Very irritating when you walk up with groceries in your hands and you have to walk to the front and push on the door handle to get the back door handle to present. I hate these door handles. Wish Tesla had an option to get more "normal" handles.

I asked the service center about it and they (and I may not have understood him - the explanation was long and confusing to me) said that's the way its supposed to work.

My car will present handles when touching a rear handle. Happy to upload a video of that if you need evidence to show the SC.

I think what may be happening is the car unlocks when you walk to the front, and that's why the back handles aren't presenting until then. If you approach the car from behind it won't unlock the doors (or the charge port). I discovered this when I couldn't get a HPWC to disconnect and realized since I had pulled head first into the parking space when I approached the charge port I hadn't been standing far enough forward on the car for it to unlock. Next time try just walking to the front door without pushing on the handle and see what happens.

All handles present on my car when I am at the middle to front of the rear door (about two steps from the charge port). Approaching from the passenger's side is slower to present than approaching from the driver's side.

All handles present on my car when I am at the middle to front of the rear door (about two steps from the charge port). Approaching from the passenger's side is slower to present than approaching from the driver's side.

Hm, I presumed that @Electricfan's car was already unlocked when he was pressing on the rear handles. Your scenario is, of course, what's happening if the car is locked on approach.