TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door Handle Presentation Question

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by 2Cybers, Aug 7, 2015.

1. 2Cybers

2Cybers Member

I was under the impression that the door handles would present when touched even when the Auto-Present setting was turned off. That indeed has been the case with the front doors, but not the rear doors.

Is the "normal"?

2014, VIN 58564, tech package and "auto pilot"

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Is child safety lock enabled?

3. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I thought so to. WHen I first got the car, I could have sworn it worked. I got my passenger rear door handle replaced and now it works.
    The door handle will only present if you have unlocked the car, (either with button or came to the door and the door handles then retract back; kinda of a standby mode0

4. mackgoo

mackgoo Member

It's a computer. As such it doesn't always act as expected.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I believe that's normal--at least that's how my car has always worked. (Child lock off)

6. 2Cybers

2Cybers Member

I do not have the child safety lock enabled.

7. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

My car does exactly this. Very irritating when you walk up with groceries in your hands and you have to walk to the front and push on the door handle to get the back door handle to present. I hate these door handles. Wish Tesla had an option to get more "normal" handles.

I asked the service center about it and they (and I may not have understood him - the explanation was long and confusing to me) said that's the way its supposed to work.

8. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

My car will present handles when touching a rear handle. Happy to upload a video of that if you need evidence to show the SC.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I think what may be happening is the car unlocks when you walk to the front, and that's why the back handles aren't presenting until then. If you approach the car from behind it won't unlock the doors (or the charge port). I discovered this when I couldn't get a HPWC to disconnect and realized since I had pulled head first into the parking space when I approached the charge port I hadn't been standing far enough forward on the car for it to unlock. Next time try just walking to the front door without pushing on the handle and see what happens.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

All handles present on my car when I am at the middle to front of the rear door (about two steps from the charge port). Approaching from the passenger's side is slower to present than approaching from the driver's side.

11. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Hm, I presumed that @Electricfan's car was already unlocked when he was pressing on the rear handles. Your scenario is, of course, what's happening if the car is locked on approach.