Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle presents, won't open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before anyone tells me to search, I know this is a common problem but I have a new spin on it and the SC is saying they can't recreate it.

When I park the car outside in the FL summer heat, if the handle is hot the door won't open. It presents fine but won't open the door.

After it cools down it's perfectly fine.

Anyone else had this happen?

What's happening is the microswitch wires are internally broken near the microswitch. The copper strands have severed but the insulation of the wires looks fine and is holding the severed wire together enough to make contact, sometimes. Heat and cold affect the pliability and flex of the insulation around the break.

Visually inspecting the wires, they look whole. If you bend / flex the wire, you'll notice it's extra bendable at the broken spot. If you pull the wire you'll notice it stretches a bit. Wait! What!? Wires don't stretch! They do if they're severed.

A service tech who visually inspects and "sees everything if fine" might skip the step of replacing just the microswitch kit, and swap the whole handle. .... A faster and more sure job. Addresses a whole range of other possible problems too. Sledgehammer for a finishing nail.