Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Door Handle Replacement Parts/Rebuild Services

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S Door handle failures have been an issue for as long as Model S has been in production. There have been several revisions over the years but ultimately they still fail for a number of reasons.

Gen 1 used a pressure sensor to "sense" when you pulled on the handle grip and these were the first thing to fail.

Part #'s
1007372-00-A-G RF Gen 1
1007373-00-A-G LF Gen 1
1007374-00-A-G RR Gen 1
1007375-00-A-G LR Gen 1

***Most Gen 1 Handles do not have any part number tags/stickers on them.***** Ribbon cable coming out of module and lack of 3rd microswitch is best way to identify these.

Gen 2 changed to an additional microswitch instead of pressure sensor. Because the switches are on the moving linkage the stiff wire and brittle insulation tend to break or crack allowing in moisture and breaking the circuit. The Paddle Gear is also made of cast metal and the ears of the gear break off of the shaft and the door handle no longer presents.

1007372-00-H-L RF New
1007373-00-H-L LF New
1007374-00-H-L RR New
1007375-00-H-L LR New

1030273-S0-A/B LF Reman
1030274-S0-A/B RF Reman
1030275-S0-A/B LR Reman
1030276-SO-A/B RR Reman

Gen 2.5 saw a new handle "chassis" but the same design for the microswitches and paddle gear. The only benefit is the handles "chassis" were no longer specific to front or rear doors just specific to Left or Right however modules were still location specific. The door shells themselves physically changed to accommodate the new style handle. (ex. LF handle couldn't be used as a LR even though it would physically bolt up)

1071881-S0-A RF New
1071880-S0-A LF New
1071884-S0-A LR New
1071885-S0-A RR New

Gen 3 Cars were made after 7/24/17 deleted the microswitches in favor of a hall effect sensor, separate module, plastic vapor barrier and updated paddle gear design (still cast metal). The module seems to be the weakest link with this design but hasn't been out there long enough to say otherwise.

1100299-S0-A LF/RR New
1100300-S0-A RF/RR New

The overwhelming majority of people fall in the Gen 2.0-2.5 category. For these door handles we have designed a Stainless Steel Machined Paddle Gear replacement and a plug and play replacement microswitch harness. The harness uses a combination of OE Panasonic Switches and Connector/Terminals with a softer more flexible braided wire and silicone insulation.

The parts are available as individual pieces or as part of a complete kit including, upgraded gear, upgraded switches, door panel clips, vapor barrier retainers, and e-clip to secure the gear on the shaft.

Provided you have a Version 2 or 2.5 Handle, We also can rebuild your door handle for you if you feel confident enough to remove it from the car but don't want to take it apart any further.

If the door handle doesn't present then the paddle gear would be what you need to replace.

If the door handle presents but then pops the door open then the microswitches have failed or the grip needs to be adjusted.

You can also watch a good video on how to repair this from The Electrified Garage

Last edited:
I just used the EVTuning $149 kit to rebuild my LR door handle assembly with a replacement gear and microswitch assembly. Removing and reinstalling the door handle assembly was a bit frustrating and tedious (I'm not a fan of working on cars, in general) but the rebuild kit was perfect and everything works now. I do have one question for the collective, though: It appears that there's a Tesla part number on the entire door handle assembly (1007375-00-L). Is that assembly available as a single part from Tesla so that the entire assembly can be replaced, eliminating the need to rebuild it?

Last edited:
I just used the EVTuning $149 kit to rebuild my LR door handle assembly with a replacement gear and microswitch assembly. Removing and reinstalling the door handle assembly was a bit frustrating and tedious (I'm not a fan of working on cars, in general) but the rebuild kit was perfect and everything works now. I do have one question for the collective, though: It appears that there's a Tesla part number on the entire door handle assembly (1007375-00-L). Is that assembly available as a single part from Tesla so that the entire assembly can be replaced, eliminating the need to rebuild it?

Yes the part number you listed is for the complete door handle. However you'll be paying roughly 600$ for that part and you're still going to have the weak gear design and poorly designed microswitch harness. So while the remove and replace might be easier, you'll A) need firmware which you can't do on your own and Tesla won't do for you if you're installing your own part typically and B) you'll end up having a failure at another point in the future. The purpose of the rebuild is to eliminate the failure prone components and ensure you're not going back inside the door again for these issues.

Yes the part number you listed is for the complete door handle. However you'll be paying roughly 600$ for that part and you're still going to have the weak gear design and poorly designed microswitch harness. So while the remove and replace might be easier, you'll A) need firmware which you can't do on your own and Tesla won't do for you if you're installing your own part typically and B) you'll end up having a failure at another point in the future. The purpose of the rebuild is to eliminate the failure prone components and ensure you're not going back inside the door again for these issues.

Ah, good points. After rebuilding the assembly this weekend with your rebuild kit I can honestly say that your components are higher quality than Tesla's. The other three door handles will break before the rebuilt one will, I'm sure.

Thank you! That's the plan. I just did all 4 as an upgrade of the original Model S that Consumer Reports reviewed back in 2013! Pretty cool to work on a piece of history. Also a nightmare to work on something so old nothing wanted to fit properly... shims everywhere!

New version of the microswitches with a cast end cap on the switches and an integrated strain relief, heavier gauge wire and silicone insulation to make an already great product, truly bulletproof in design. I have also updated the original post with a better video from The Electrified Garage on how to fully rebuild all components of the door handle.
IMG_6069.a.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2015 and I took the rear door apart to see why the handle wasn’t flush. My part number is 1007374-00-L. It appears someone drilled new screw holes because they didn’t line up, thus the wrong fitment. What’s the correct part number? I’m afraid to order a new one and get the wrong one again.

Attachments

• EBB2698E-D617-4C0B-A729-A335DEA90C26.jpeg
    EBB2698E-D617-4C0B-A729-A335DEA90C26.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 256
I have a 2015 and I took the rear door apart to see why the handle wasn’t flush. My part number is 1007374-00-L. It appears someone drilled new screw holes because they didn’t line up, thus the wrong fitment. What’s the correct part number? I’m afraid to order a new one and get the wrong one again.

That is impressive inginuity the part # you'd need is 1071885-S0-A RR For a 2015 it's odd that it would have that style handle unless the door has been replaced and they now only have the mounting studs for the newer style handles in the door. Body shops would normally upgrade you to the gen 3.0 version at that point but if it was done at a non-certified body shop then this would make sense that they made what they had work.