Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle service trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZsoZso

Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2014
Mount-island
My 2014 Model S had door handle troubles in the past 3 times, such that the handle presents, but pulling on it does not open the door. It always happens in winter, I read a thread that explained the problem is due to the wire connecting to the micro-switch getting frozen and becomes rigid, not flexible, so when the handle moves in and out the soldering point breaks instead of the wire flexing.

All 3 past cases (over 5 years) were fixed free of charge under warranty in the service center. So I had to drive the car into for service, but it was fixed for free, just my time spent with the issue.

The same problem happened recently again. The new service schedule system on the phone app seems like a nice improvement over the previous system. Quick and easy, no waiting on hold on the phone, got an appointment within a few days (rather than weeks as before) and it is mobile service, so they come out to fix it in my garage, I do not need to spend time driving to the service center. All good stuff.

The technician arrive on time and fixed the issue in about an hour. I did have to pay ~$300 this time, despite having an extended warranty its called the "deductible". OK, I can live with that (although its a step backwards in terms of customer experience compared to previous), Tesla can't afford to carry all cost burden if they want to be profitable.

Now, a week has past since the fix, and yesterday a new problem appeared with the same door, which clearly seems related. Sometimes when the handle supposed to retract (e.g. locking the car, or putting it into drive) it fails and the car beeps a warning. Other 3 handles retract, that one stays out. When attempting to repeat the action (pressing fob to lock the car or trying to put it into drive again), it beeps again and the door opens! This shocked me, because my car never had the capability to actually open the door, only to present the handles, it had to be opened manually. I've seen that feature on Model X driver doors only. So I cannot drive the car, have to get out, walk around, close the door.
This problem happens randomly and opening and closing the door a few times may randomly fix it.
Even when the handle retracts it makes a squeaking sound, so it seems it may not fit properly. Clearly a different, newer mechanism was installed and it does not seem fully compatible with my old car.

Now, I scheduled another appointment, again can't talk to any person just fill out the form on the app.
Got the appointment for next Tuesday and they sent me the usual quote to pre-approve the repair cost, another $305 cost. Well, this I have a problem with, since its the fault of their previous "fix", so why do I have to pay again ? But all the messages I get in email come from "[email protected]" and there is no way for me to complain to anyone. So this all-automated service scheduling is nice while everything goes smoothly, but once there is a problem, there is no way to complain, talk to a person.

When did the service centers get telephones?

The better question: when were the phones removed from the service centers ?
I tried to call: automated voice menu, when I choose the option that my call is about a scheduled service, then it says I have to use the app to update or cancel my appointment. Does not allow me to talk to a person.

The better question: when were the phones removed from the service centers ?
I tried to call: automated voice menu, when I choose the option that my call is about a scheduled service, then it says I have to use the app to update or cancel my appointment. Does not allow me to talk to a person.
2-3 years ago. Too bad there's no way to rate a post's content as pathetic.