TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door handle static electric shock

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by outie, Oct 7, 2016.

1. outie

outie Member

is this happening to anyone? I have been shocked by the exterior driver handle few times since last night. It happened with or without the charging cable plugged in. Any tips to avoid it?

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I had this issue with my old vehicle (non-Tesla). Over the course of a day, I would build up a static charge that would shock me when I touched my vehicle door. I would use my key to discharge myself, so that I wouldn't directly get the shock. And it was always worse in the winter when the air is more dry.

Anyway, here are some things you can try:
    - use a hand-moisturizer to reduce chance of shock, especially in the dry winter
    - ground yourself before getting into the vehicle (e.g. touch a sink tap)
    - As you approach the vehicle equalize charge by touching the hood or side of vehicle using an open palm. Increasing the skin surface area helps to drastically reduce the pain (versus a finger tip)

3. GridSpace

GridSpace Member

The other problem is that they get blistering hot in the sun. I had all my chrome wrapped in vinyl. Looks better and oddly feels cooler (even though it's satin black now).