TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door handle stuck fully extended

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Marc_GA, May 5, 2018.

1. Marc_GA

Marc_GA Member

My left rear handle extended past where it normally does and won’t move. It’s at the point which usually triggers the door to open. I can’t push/pull it at all. The door does not get triggered to open, thank goodness or driving would be pretty unsafe.

I couldn’t find any posts with this behavior. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the cause.

On vacation so it’s quite annoying. Guess I’ll tear another door apart when I’m home.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Model S--what year? The door handles have been problematic for years. Bad pivot gear, broken microswitch wire, misaligned microswitch. I have not heard if the motors themselves actually fail. Could be any one. I would not focus on the root cause--just call Tesla Service to repair it. This is an easy fix for the Mobile Ranger.

3. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

My left rear broke today. Extends, but does not un latch.
    I repaired right rear last month, gear broke.
    I have 3 extra ones .

4. N..8

N..8 Member

Marc, mine did this same thing. It would cause the door to open every time the other door handles came out. Before I was able to get it into the SC I just did a more than light tap on it to get it to pop back into the normal extend location. As long as I didn't open the door it would act normal. Took about two weeks before I was able to make it to the SC. If I used the door I just remembered after shutting it that i would need to pop it back into the normal extended location. This enabled it to retract as is should.

5. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Happened to me, same door, also while on vacation. They fixed it at a service center a couple of days later. Got it realigned rather than replacing. Failed again more recently (although worse in that the motor kept going) and it was fixed again. My impression is that there's some kind of self-aligning hardware there that needs a special tool to get it to redo its alignment. But that's just from talking to service techs.

6. Marc_GA

Marc_GA Member

Thanks for all the responses. Luckily two days after the handle got stuck, it just started working again. I didn't touch it so no clue as to why.

I did try pushing, jiggling, pulling and everything else a day or two prior to it fixing itself and nothing changed.

I have already taken apart and fixed the pivot gear in the rear right so I'm familiar with how mechanically the door handles work. This was easier to diagnose because the handle would not extend but you could hear the motor running constantly. I'm out of warranty so I'm not ready to go have Tesla fix things like this. I was quoted $750 to fix it last time and was able to fix it with a $1.50 part (1042845-00-B) and about an hour (30 minutes if I had to do it again) of my time.

• Like x 1