Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My two week old Model S has a problem. When I walk up to my car, the door handles present themselves but I cannot open the driver's side door. Nothing happens when I pull it. The other doors seem to work fine.

Also interesting is that the side mirrors do not retract when I walk up to the car. They only retract when I open another door.

I have a service appointment next week, but I was hoping it was a software problem. Any ideas?

Surprised it would happen on a two-week old car. The most common reason for this is a faulty design that causes a wire to break off the microswitch after many in-out cycles of the handle. This guy explains it well:

I pulled mine out and re-soldered it a few weeks ago. I also drilled a small hole through the aluminum (inside) and ran a wire-tie through to secure the wire properly.

I had this problem, was a wiring thing. Fixed it as per the video(out of warranty, SC wanted an arm and a leg to fix - can't say I blame them too much, it is not an easy fix). A few weeks ago, had a door handle get stuck in the out position. I let it sit for a week being that it was too cold to pull apart without a warm garage. I finally had time to look at it, and low and behold, it "fixed" itself. Been fine ever since. Fickle those handles are!

Any had this problem out of warranty? What does your service center charge to fix it??

740.75 for parts , labor was 162.50. total damage was $903.25

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 4.45.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 4.45.59 PM.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 94
I asked them about the flex part. SA said you can something to "hear the gears grinding, would love to save you money but the whole assembly needs to be replaced" . I was hoping for $25 in parts and labor, being under $200.
See this post for some nice details on how to do this yourself (maybe for next time).
Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)
The problem you describe sounds like a broken paddle gear which is a $1 part. I just replaced mine yesterday. It is a lengthy DIY project to get the handle assembly out of the car (took me 3 hours) but I like doing things myself when possible. I think it is unfortunate that Tesla continues to charge owners $900 to replace the entire assembly when it is a simple fix. Should be 1$ plus labor. I too paid $900 to have my second handle replaced (first was under warranty) but I'll do them again myself in the future.

See this post for some nice details on how to do this yourself (maybe for next time).
Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)
The problem you describe sounds like a broken paddle gear which is a $1 part. I just replaced mine yesterday. It is a lengthy DIY project to get the handle assembly out of the car (took me 3 hours) but I like doing things myself when possible. I think it is unfortunate that Tesla continues to charge owners $900 to replace the entire assembly when it is a simple fix. Should be 1$ plus labor. I too paid $900 to have my second handle replaced (first was under warranty) but I'll do them again myself in the future.
I saw that and another thread about the flexing cable that is cheap to repair/replace. I may look into it if the handles fail me again (hope not) but the last time it was in winter and way too cold to attempt to do anything.

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but just this morning the driver side door handle of my 2012 S won't retract. This was already replaced a few years ago while under warranty. Trying to get a hold of a service center rep over the phone seems impossible now. I either need to use an app that is unavailable for my phone, or some how be able to use their website chat from my phone.

Until I am able to get home and use my computer to chat with them, are their any temporary solutions to force a stuck door handle to open? Has anyone tried to use a narrow plastic or metal tool to force it out?

I'm getting so paranoid now. I could just imagine all four door handles no longer retracting with my baby still in the car.

I had another one go out and did the $2-3 gear part. Took about 2 hours with breaks/beer in between to do.

To open door before I got a hold of the part, I used an extra plastic interior pry tool that I wedged in to open the driver door when it was stuck. You could also slide a credit card to open it. Another member tied a string and tugged it open. Good luck.