TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door handle stuck

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SoxFan2004, Apr 9, 2016.

1. SoxFan2004

SoxFan2004 Member

My two week old Model S has a problem. When I walk up to my car, the door handles present themselves but I cannot open the driver's side door. Nothing happens when I pull it. The other doors seem to work fine.

Also interesting is that the side mirrors do not retract when I walk up to the car. They only retract when I open another door.

I have a service appointment next week, but I was hoping it was a software problem. Any ideas?

2. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Yeah my friend had that same problem. A service center visit fixes it. It's a mechanical and software problem.

3. SoxFan2004

SoxFan2004 Member

Yes, I had it fixed this morning. It took about 90 minutes and is apparently a common problem.

4. Hank42

Hank42 Member

Anyone know what the problem actually is, if it is so common?

5. mmccord

mmccord Member

Surprised it would happen on a two-week old car. The most common reason for this is a faulty design that causes a wire to break off the microswitch after many in-out cycles of the handle. This guy explains it well:

I pulled mine out and re-soldered it a few weeks ago. I also drilled a small hole through the aluminum (inside) and ran a wire-tie through to secure the wire properly.

6. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Any had this problem out of warranty? What does your service center charge to fix it??

7. Hank42

Hank42 Member

I had this problem, was a wiring thing. Fixed it as per the video(out of warranty, SC wanted an arm and a leg to fix - can't say I blame them too much, it is not an easy fix). A few weeks ago, had a door handle get stuck in the out position. I let it sit for a week being that it was too cold to pull apart without a warm garage. I finally had time to look at it, and low and behold, it "fixed" itself. Been fine ever since. Fickle those handles are!

8. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

740.75 for parts , labor was 162.50. total damage was $903.25

Attached Files:

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Humm. They should be able to replace just the paddle.

10. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

I asked them about the flex part. SA said you can something to "hear the gears grinding, would love to save you money but the whole assembly needs to be replaced" . I was hoping for $25 in parts and labor, being under $200.

11. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Active Member

See this post for some nice details on how to do this yourself (maybe for next time).
    Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)
    The problem you describe sounds like a broken paddle gear which is a $1 part. I just replaced mine yesterday. It is a lengthy DIY project to get the handle assembly out of the car (took me 3 hours) but I like doing things myself when possible. I think it is unfortunate that Tesla continues to charge owners $900 to replace the entire assembly when it is a simple fix. Should be 1$ plus labor. I too paid $900 to have my second handle replaced (first was under warranty) but I'll do them again myself in the future.

12. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

I saw that and another thread about the flexing cable that is cheap to repair/replace. I may look into it if the handles fail me again (hope not) but the last time it was in winter and way too cold to attempt to do anything.