Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Troubleshooting with Microswitch and Paddle Intact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I have found myself in a situation where one of my door handles (passenger backseat) will not present on my 2015 MS (Gen 2 Handle). So of course common failure mode right? So I took my door handle apart. DIY was pretty simple and to my surprise everything was intact, Paddle was in great shape and so were the micro switches. I ordered the repair kit from EV tuning and replaced everything anyway. Hooked the door back up and nothing, door handle still not operating. Only thing that happens is the LED light flashes once when the door handle harness is connected to the door frame harness. So by this time I am thinking 1 of 3 things could have failed. Either the door handle motor, the lock switch control module in the door handle, or the actual Door harness. I took a volt Meter to the door harness and i see between 10 to 12 volts coming out of the door itself so i am thinking the problem is within the handle components. Does anyone have any tips on troubleshooting or know what Voltage reading i should be seeing from the lock switch control module whenever the door handle is supposed to operate?

Hello All,

I have found myself in a situation where one of my door handles (passenger backseat) will not present on my 2015 MS (Gen 2 Handle). So of course common failure mode right? So I took my door handle apart. DIY was pretty simple and to my surprise everything was intact, Paddle was in great shape and so were the micro switches. I ordered the repair kit from EV tuning and replaced everything anyway. Hooked the door back up and nothing, door handle still not operating. Only thing that happens is the LED light flashes once when the door handle harness is connected to the door frame harness. So by this time I am thinking 1 of 3 things could have failed. Either the door handle motor, the lock switch control module in the door handle, or the actual Door harness. I took a volt Meter to the door harness and i see between 10 to 12 volts coming out of the door itself so i am thinking the problem is within the handle components. Does anyone have any tips on troubleshooting or know what Voltage reading i should be seeing from the lock switch control module whenever the door handle is supposed to operate?
when you had the handle out of the car did you try to manually push the handle out? Did you inspect the motor gear and paddle? you can check the assembly on another door (just unplug connector from another door) thus way you can eliminate broken or cut wires in the harness. I have a different situation right rear passenger door handle presents but can't open door from outside or inside I took handle assembly out nothing bad. I saw a thread on here with simular situation (only one thread) where the wire was cut in side door. I checked all wiring didn't find any cut still trying to figure it out. I'll, post that thread. hope you solve the problem.

Thanks All, Turns out I believe it is the motor. My luck that it would be a motor failure and not the paddle or microswitch smh. I received a used motor from eBay yesterday and after plugging the handle into the door the handle finally moved to the out position. Only problem is that it now wont move from that particular position but I think that’s due to me doing so much tinkering with parts and screws that the adjustment is off somewhere. I’ll provide another update today.