Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Updade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that sounds a bit extreme lol. its unlikely that you have all 4 door handles go out that you cant get into your car + you can always climb in the hatch if all else fails.
A fair point; I stated it a little bit too extremely. But it sure does suck to spend 3 weeks unable to open your driver's door normally (yes this happened to me). I was incredibly happy with the handle change when I got my 3.

Reactions: Dre78
A fair point; I stated it a little bit too extremely. But it sure does suck to spend 3 weeks unable to open your driver's door normally (yes this happened to me). I was incredibly happy with the handle change when I got my 3.

I've had MS handles fail 7 times. After the 4th time (and out of warranty) I learned how to fix them myself (pivot gears and microswitches are cheap). It's a pain in the ass though.

However I agree with the OP, MS handles are much more intuitive. It's always fun to see people who've never been in a M3 try to get in... even better when they can't figure how to get out.

not sure if you knew but you can always use a credit card or something similar to manually open the door handle.
Depends on the failure. In my case I could, and I did figure that out. But realistically, this just shouldn't happen. People expect the door handles to always work. I'm an extremely tolerant engineer, and I found it to be a pretty unacceptable type of common failure. I know others nearby that have gone through more than a dozen door handles.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
not sure if you knew but you can always use a credit card or something similar to manually open the door handle.

I use a little suction cup to pull the handle out. Then wrap a loop of duct tape around it to make a 'pull-tab'. Good temporary solution, until I have time to fix it. This is for pivot gear failures.

For micro-switch failures (where you can only open from the inside), I use a dog leash with the hand loop around the inner handle and pull the rest to the back seat. This allows me to pop open the front door from the back; without having to crawl through the cabin.

The only thing I would like improved on my Model 3 handles is when I push on the handle to consistently pop it open far enough so I can just grab the door and open it.
Always pops open enough on the driver door, almost always on the passenger front door, but never enough on the back doors.

I've had MS handles fail 7 times. After the 4th time (and out of warranty) I learned how to fix them myself (pivot gears and microswitches are cheap). It's a pain in the ass though.

However I agree with the OP, MS handles are much more intuitive. It's always fun to see people who've never been in a M3 try to get in... even better when they can't figure how to get out.
Ya it makes me wonder how the model 3 will function as a robotaxi when people can't figure out how to open the door :)

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic and Ben W