Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles, 2 different styles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone care to speculate at the reason for the 2 different styles of door handles?

black_1.jpg
upload_2016-3-31_21-42-47.png

Being that they are still prototypes, probably detail they are still deciding on. I suspect the bottom picture are like the S with retracting handles. Bet the top picture is like the X that is just a touch plate. I predict they will be like the X, not the S. While retracting handles are cool, they are costly and still issues with them.

For some reason when I look at them the hockey stick style look like capacitive touch versions and the parallelogram style look like extending one similar to the S. Maybe just inconsistency between prototypes. I swear I saw a model 3 in the reveal video on the big screen that had an emblem recess above the non-grill similar to the X.

Different door handles: They're either playing with the two designs, or they had to cobble together S handles to make the third prototype.

I think people are reading a bit too much into the details here. I highly doubt they're part of a different package. To make lots of cars, you want to standardize where you can. Having two different handle styles, which means you also need different panels for the door surrounding them, would just be stupid. Tesla won't make that mistake.

Different door handles: They're either playing with the two designs, or they had to cobble together S handles to make the third prototype.

I think people are reading a bit too much into the details here. I highly doubt they're part of a different package. To make lots of cars, you want to standardize where you can. Having two different handle styles, which means you also need different panels for the door surrounding them, would just be stupid. Tesla won't make that mistake.
Yeah. I thought about that later as well. The hockey stick ones appear to be touch though as the test ride video doesn't show them extending.

I think the dark grey one is an older alpha model and that's why it doesn't have the new handles.

Or, maybe the newer handles are just for the optional auto-presenting doors. Who knows?

... in other news, about 800 people are taking joy rides in the model 3 right now. Where are the Walmans and Skeptics who said that it Tesla would only be showing off a photo?

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I just rewatched that part, the car was there the entire time, they just move the wall covering it, also the promo video they showed had the red 3, which again makes me think the red tesla is the newest proto.
Good point. I remember when GM first showed the Bolt (last January?), and I couldn't help but think "Why would Chevy want to sell someone's orange turds on wheels?" But now? I don't think it's the ugliest monstrosity I've ever seen.

As for the model 3, I initially thought "She's kinda sexy. The front bumper and the middle bulge will take some getting used to, but I can see her on my arm."

I didn't see anyone getting out, I'm still convinced the red 3 is the newest prototype of the three.

I just rewatched that part, the car was there the entire time, they just move the wall covering it, also the promo video they showed had the red 3, which again makes me think the red tesla is the newest proto.

I don't think the Red one has a power train, the lights arnt even on like the other two.