TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door Handles, 2 different styles?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Brad_NC, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

Anyone care to speculate at the reason for the 2 different styles of door handles?

black_1.jpg upload_2016-3-31_21-42-47.png

2. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

Indeed, I think the curved one would be part of the luxury option package.

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Aye. I was thinking same as Fallenone. One is higher end package than other.

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Being that they are still prototypes, probably detail they are still deciding on. I suspect the bottom picture are like the S with retracting handles. Bet the top picture is like the X that is just a touch plate. I predict they will be like the X, not the S. While retracting handles are cool, they are costly and still issues with them.

5. PaulJB

PaulJB Member

Can someone at the reveal tell us how the unique handles work on the prototypes? Thanks!

6. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

For some reason when I look at them the hockey stick style look like capacitive touch versions and the parallelogram style look like extending one similar to the S. Maybe just inconsistency between prototypes. I swear I saw a model 3 in the reveal video on the big screen that had an emblem recess above the non-grill similar to the X.

7. ucla107

ucla107 Member

I noticed that too... the grey one had the traditional door handle and the red one had the curved one.

IMG_7007.JPG IMG_7008.JPG

8. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

Is it the angle or does the bottom car have a longer nose?

9. Benz

Benz Active Member

Yes, I noticed the door handles too. The Model 3 should not have the Model S door handles.

But I noticed something else too, did anyone see anyone stepping out of the red Model 3?

• Like x 3
  10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Different door handles: They're either playing with the two designs, or they had to cobble together S handles to make the third prototype.

I think people are reading a bit too much into the details here. I highly doubt they're part of a different package. To make lots of cars, you want to standardize where you can. Having two different handle styles, which means you also need different panels for the door surrounding them, would just be stupid. Tesla won't make that mistake.

• Like x 3
  11. James Anders

James Anders Member

There won't be two different shaped handles. No way will they have two different door stampings for different handle options. Clearly this is just two different design studies.

12. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Yeah. I thought about that later as well. The hockey stick ones appear to be touch though as the test ride video doesn't show them extending.

13. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

I didn't see anyone getting out, I'm still convinced the red 3 is the newest prototype of the three.

14. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

One earlier and one a bit later concept.
    Don't believe this is 100.00% final design. This is along the lines of Model S first concept.
    Model 3 will be real looker.

• Like x 2
  15. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I agree. This will be one damn fine looking car when it's ready for production!

• Like x 2
  16. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

I just rewatched that part, the car was there the entire time, they just move the wall covering it, also the promo video they showed had the red 3, which again makes me think the red tesla is the newest proto.

• Informative x 1
  17. ImEric

ImEric Member

I think the dark grey one is an older alpha model and that's why it doesn't have the new handles.

Or, maybe the newer handles are just for the optional auto-presenting doors. Who knows?

... in other news, about 800 people are taking joy rides in the model 3 right now. Where are the Walmans and Skeptics who said that it Tesla would only be showing off a photo?

• Like x 1
  18. ImEric

ImEric Member

Good point. I remember when GM first showed the Bolt (last January?), and I couldn't help but think "Why would Chevy want to sell someone's orange turds on wheels?" But now? I don't think it's the ugliest monstrosity I've ever seen.

As for the model 3, I initially thought "She's kinda sexy. The front bumper and the middle bulge will take some getting used to, but I can see her on my arm."

19. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

I don't think the Red one has a power train, the lights arnt even on like the other two.

20. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The hockey sticks look like a modified Kindig style handle to me. It's a very practical solution that maintains the flush look while using mechanical actuation. It should be more reliable and less expensive than either the Model S or Model X style handle.

Store - Kindig It Design
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 2