Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Auto Presenting *AND* Auto Opening Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kitk

Model S P85 - VIN#2589
Dec 5, 2012
San Diego, CA
I took delivery yesterday and was hoping folks could clarify if my driver side door behavior under 4.0 is as expected. Came back with groceries and kids in tow today. Left the car with rear hatch and passenger reach door ajar and carried a load of groceries inside. When I came back to the car I had to walk past the closed driver side door (with handles already pulled in). Upon walking past the driver side door the doors presented themselves automatically AND the driver side door popped open.

Thinking this was odd to have the door open itself I closed the driver side door and took in another load of groceries. Returned to the car and the same thing repeated itself with the driver side door opening itself immediately after presenting the door handles.

I wasn't aware of any automatic door opening functionality. Anyone else observed this?

I think Ben (cinergi) has seen this happen before. Don't think it's intentional but I like the idea as an option!

My right rear door opened the other night when the handles presented. This isn't supposed to happen, but is the result of the sensors detecting pressure when the handles present.

That isn't supposed to happen. Has this happened before or are you able to repeat this?

It hasn't happened before, but did it two times in a row. I will see if I can go get it to repeat again. One additional bit of information in case it is relevant. The car was wet from rain. Perhaps moisture could interfere with the sensor? The good news is we don't get much of that wet stuff here in San Diego, so I'll be fine most of the year if it is related.

It hasn't happened before, but did it two times in a row. I will see if I can go get it to repeat again. One additional bit of information in case it is relevant. The car was wet from rain. Perhaps moisture could interfere with the sensor? The good news is we don't get much of that wet stuff here in San Diego, so I'll be fine most of the year if it is related.

Yes, cinergi did have this happen to him before. It was something that got fixed for him.

must be sensitivity related. Lots and lots of rain in Humboldt and no problems. Auto opening would be a neat option to have programmable.

must be sensitivity related. Lots and lots of rain in Humboldt and no problems. Auto opening would be a neat option to have programmable.

Its a bug, wait its a feature, err nevermind :)

Went out again today and couldn't reproduce the problem. Did notice the passenger floor mat is all curled up (not just the edges but at the midpoint). No hooks like in other vehicles to hold it down. One minute of driving though and all of the little things are quickly forgotten.

Thanks all for chiming in so quickly.

Yes, happened to me. This (quoted) is the reason I'm told it happens. Door handles replaced (had it happen on two doors). Hasn't happened since.

I gave the car its first wash this morning and had my key present in my pocket resulting in the doors opening when I came back to the vehicle. While rinsing I had visions of the door opening itself and spraying down the inside of the car by mistake. Next time I think I will turn this feature off or keep the key away while rinsing.

Shortly after pulling the car back into the garage the rear driver side door opened itself. So I've now had this happen with two different doors and each time after moisture was present.

I'm wondering if this is a recent change that has made it more prevalent? Before, I had a number of cases where I'd tug on the doors and they wouldn't open, but now it seems like it's gone the other direction and gotten more sensitive. Or maybe it's temperatures or something. *shrug*

I'm bringing this thread back to life as I just had this happen to me two times in a row on my driver's side door in the garage, rain/wet was not a factor. Thoughts? Kitk Nigel? Did you guys have this happen again, did you have any work done by the rangers?

Ranger came to visit but had been sent the wrong part (Tampa didn't have parts inventory). In any case, the car has never repeated this behavior since. They still plan to replace the handle, but I haven't pushed it as I don't see it an urgent issue.

This is happening almost routinely now whenever I attempt to drive away. Left rear door is always the one opening. I have informed Service, but no contact back yet. I am wondering if I should just disconnect the wiring harness to the handle in the meantime.
Anyone know where to get a wiring diagram for the Model S ?
thanks