Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles don't present on touch only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Tesla Model S.

I ran into an issue today. My door handles all of a sudden won't present on touch. I washed the car at a self wash station, with the pressure wash. They worked when I left the wash, but they haven't worked since.

I can present the handles by using the key fob so I know the motor works. I've tried with two separate key fobs so it's not a low battery in my key fob. I've tried both the driver and passenger side but touching the handles does not make the handles present.

Is there a fuse for this function? I'm lost.

Ok, so I kind of thought this might happen. It just started working again today. Who knows?

It was answered already and tons of FAQ around here on this.

Door handles go bad, often. Too often honestly. The pressure sensor wire gets frayed in the elements and doesnt stay connected. You can replace it with an aftermarket wiring solution, or if you're in warranty have Tesla do it.

Does anyone know if the actual handles are replaced or is it just the wiring?

Asking because I'm having this issue as well on 3 handles but my handles are all vinyl wrapped and hoping they can use the existing handles instead of having to get them rewrapped

Nobody talks about another failure of these handles (all generations) which is the pressure sensor which lies just underneath the big bolt at the very center of the handle. It's a small circuit board with pressure sensors with 3 short wires ending into a brown connector. A little stupid thing that is impossible to find. I only found one on ebay for a price you can buy the entire handle for. Any thoughts?

Nobody talks about another failure of these handles (all generations) which is the pressure sensor which lies just underneath the big bolt at the very center of the handle. It's a small circuit board with pressure sensors with 3 short wires ending into a brown connector. A little stupid thing that is impossible to find. I only found one on ebay for a price you can buy the entire handle for. Any thoughts?

It’s actually not all generations. I have a late 2017 and mine are Gen 3 with the Hall effect sensor. I just finished repairing mine.
they are way simpler to deal with and much more reliable (lasted me 73K miles and over 4years)
my paddle gear broke. Seems to always be the weak link in the chain. Maybe tho this is by design. If the gear were unbreakable the force would move to another component.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
YESSS ! I have access to the exploded parts of all car, and on the section of the handle, I can find part numbers for all pieces of the handle minus..... the pressure sensor ! It must be selling anywhere, nobody know where to find this sensor ????

Reactions: Cheburashka
0F344B16-E1F3-4B38-AFC6-192EA9FD1812.jpeg

I took a photo of the sensor. Does it help anybody?