TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door Handles - external buttons

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pilot7478, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

I got my X about a month ago and in order to open any door (front or FWD) I always have to press a certain spot on the door handles. For front doors - it's in the middle of the handles and for back doors it's a "back part" of the handle. The problem is that if someone who does not know about these spots tries to press these handles at the "wrong" parts the doors won't open. At delivery, I was told that this is the way how these handles are designed and that's normal. However, now I'm wondering maybe it's not normal and something is wrong with my door handles. It seems so "wrong" to me that these long buttons have to be pressed at certain spot only in order to work...

How about your door handles? Do they work the same way as mine or you can press them anywhere and they just work?

• Funny x 1
  2. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Same. Have to push the right spot.

I always open the door for guests. Or you might want to put the circle sticker on your handle to let them know where to push :p

3. Need

Need Active Member

Same, you have to press the right spots. But I open door for guests.. so they don't leave a bunch of fingerprints on the chrome handles LOL.

• Funny x 1
  4. animorph

animorph Active Member

I use the farthest forward (pointy) part of the driver's door handle. That seemed easiest to press.

5. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

Fingerprints: yes, that's a whole different story. I would say that the car is so smart that it automatically records fingerprints of everybody who tries to open a door. And now I think that maybe the "press the right spot" game is in fact a feature, designed to collect more fingerprints (done with coordination with FBI to reduce production cost)...:):):)

• Funny x 1
  6. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Same here and all the demo cars I drove, so I'm sure it's "normal". Not the most intuitive operation for those not used to using them regularly. I tend to remotely open doors for guests not familiar with the car. I don't understand why they didn't make them much smaller. They seem more of a styling feature than a practical door button. Also a major finger-print magnet!