Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles keep going in/out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my 2014 MS is unlocked, every 60 seconds, all 4 door handles go in for 6 seconds and then go back out. This cycle has been continuing for four hours.

While I sit in the driver's seat (with or without the Fob), the handles stay in. About 10 minutes after I get out, the cycling resumes.
Rebooting both displays didn't help. Whether or not the car is plugged in doesn't make a difference.
Turning on or off "Walk-Away Door Lock" doesn't make a difference. Turning on or off "Auto-Present Handles" doesn't make a difference.
Whether or not the Fob is near the car or far away doesn't make a difference. The only way to stop the cycling door handles is to lock the car.

I searched the forum and didn't see anything similar. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
My door handles continue to cycle in/out for hours, but occasionally they stop and restart later.

When they are not cycling, I noticed that the left rear handle is much more sensitive than the other 3 handles. It actuates with an extremely slight touch, instead requiring a distinct press, like the other 3 handles and all 4 handles on my other MS, which is a 2015.

I suspect that sensitive LR handle is automatically triggering re-opening after 10 sec of being closed. Anyone else every have this problem?

I started having this exact issue in my 2013 Model S today. Found this thread from a search and wondered if you ever found a cause/solution before I start troubleshooting. Really appreciate any help.
I just ran into this. My wife restarted her tesla iPhone app and it stopped it, even though we were using my phone at the time. This was happening while driving.

• Informative
Reactions: JHawk and mswlogo