TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door handles more responsive?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ChargedUp, Sep 21, 2014.

1. ChargedUp

ChargedUp Member

I am sorry if this was previously asked but;

In 6.0 it states that the door handles are more responsive. Has anyone seen a difference? If so please explain.

Thanks!

2. dalamchops

dalamchops Member

For me i notice it comes out quicker as i approach the car. Previously at times I would be standing at the car waiting for the handle.

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I do think it's been more responsive, but will take some time to know for sure. Before 6.0, there would be times where I'd be tapping at the door handle a couple of times to get it to come out. Haven't had that happen since 6.0. For me this is in cases where I've approached the car and the handles have presented, but I didn't get in right away, so the handles retracted before I opened the door, thus necessitating the need to tap to get in.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Seems so when not sleeping.... Otherwise no change in my book.

5. maxwells

maxwells P85 43796

They do come out quicker for me as I approach the car.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Here is my take: Previous to 6.0 there seemed to be a slight delay between pulling the handle and having the door solenoid release the door. It seems muck quicker now. I tug on the handle and the door releases almost instantly.

Here's my theory: There was a problem with the Gen 1 handles where they would extend and sometimes accidentally cause the door to pop open. I think Tesla pushed software that invoked a little delay so that the hair-trigger Gen 1 handles wouldn't pop doors when they extended. Likely all Gen 1 handles have been replaced by now (mine have, anyway), and the Gen 2 handles actually have a little "travel" when you pull on them. With this "travel", you don't have the hair-trigger problem of them accidentally activating the solenoid when they extend, so Tesla can remove the little delay that was a workaround fix for the earlier handles.

7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Yep. 6.0 Release notes say they made changes improving the responiveness.

8. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I still have original handles and I am sure many others do.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Hmmm... so much for my theory then, unless Tesla has just made the assumption that all of the problem hair-trigger Gen 1 handles have been replaced.

10. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

I still have the original handles on my Sig.
    My handles currently are slightly out of sync when extending.

11. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Gen 1 and Gen 2 likely carry a different firmware driver so Tesla can optimize the performance of each individually.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

All 4 of mine were replaced (due to random doors popping open when the handles extended) and they too are slightly out of sync when they come out.

13. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I have original handles and they are out of sync. Only annoying from an OCD perspective :)

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Captain Obvious :)

15. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

They proactively replaced all 4 of my original Gen 1 door handles. I had one replaced, but still with the Gen 1 handle. Then all 4 replaced when I brought in my car for a door seal leak.

16. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I have two Gen 1 handles and two Gen 2. Prior to v6 the new handles were slower to present, but now they're all in sync, and it seems like they present earlier (i.e. when I'm further way from the car) than before.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Mine slide out exactly as before. No sooner nor from farther away. Where I notice the difference is when I tug on them. Before there was a slight delay before the solenoid would release the door and now it seems faster.

18. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I've been keeping an eye out for when they present, and it seems like the are doing so when I'm slightly farther away now.

19. Perfect_Flaw

Perfect_Flaw Banned

V6.0 software indicates there was a change made to the door handles.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes. They are supposed to be "more responsive". Some (not me) seem to thing they present more quickly and/or from farther away. I have found they are more responsive when I pull on them to open the door.