Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: My Tesla S gives me the cold shoulder when I leave it in the cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happens here in DFW as well. The heated door handles had better put out a lot of heat because sometimes the ice is 3-4mm thick.

Jerry,

I did not mean to imply that the S will have heated door handles, there is no mention of this on the model S specs page... although I think it could be a very useful feature.

For that matter, heated mirrors are not listed on the specs page either...

:crying:

I asked about the handles yesterday at the Tesla Gallery in Natick. The rep clearly had researched the answer: the heated handles are out, because that added one more thing to break. Instead, Tesla oomphed up the power of the motor that pops out the handles. I was told that the handles can crack through up to 8mm of ice. (One more example of using electric motor torque to good advantage.)

Sounds like they've sent the word around about that one... a Ranger told me the same thing. Sounds like a non-issue. At 8 mm thick you would have serous trouble opening the door even with the handle extended. (It's extremely rare to get that much freezing rain at once, but I did have it happen once. Took half an hour to get into the car.)

I've asked Tesla Ownership experience about this issue, and their response is that the car has been extensively tested in the cold, and no issues with the handles. Recent snowstorm in NY with 7" of snow and the car left in a lot during the storm had no issues with the handles. A suggestion would be to pick up a small butane torch ($15.00) at a Home Depot, and keep it handy. You can heat up the outer handle in pinch.
Otherwise you can hold the key fob roof button down for 4 seconds and all the windows should roll down, and you can open the door with the inside door latch. No so great if the car is caked in snow, but beats being locked out.

With my Audi A3, I've once had to crawl in through the rear hatch, as all of the doors were iced over. With the MS, I imagine that 15 minutes of preheating the cabin via the smartphone app will be very helpful with clearing the door seals of ice.

I'm now imagining someone with the smartphone app going through all the possible openings -- if you get down to the pano roof being the one that did open, and trying to climb up on an encrusted in ice MS..

I asked about the handles yesterday at the Tesla Gallery in Natick. The rep clearly had researched the answer: the heated handles are out, because that added one more thing to break. Instead, Tesla oomphed up the power of the motor that pops out the handles. I was told that the handles can crack through up to 8mm of ice. (One more example of using electric motor torque to good advantage.)

Sounds like they've sent the word around about that one... a Ranger told me the same thing. Sounds like a non-issue. At 8 mm thick you would have serous trouble opening the door even with the handle extended. (It's extremely rare to get that much freezing rain at once, but I did have it happen once. Took half an hour to get into the car.)

That's good news indeed, one less winter issue to worry about.

Next - wipers!

I had something like this happen once in Minnesota -- cycles of freezing rain for 12 hours created a single sheet of ice the shape of a car cover. It took 4 hours to deal with. It was probably only 7 mm thick, but I have my doubts that the door handle motors would bust through that, because the sheer width of the ice gave it a lot of structural integrity, and it was pretty much impossible to chip. I had to first *melt* a line out around the edges of the door using a hair dryer (I didn't have a butane torch). Then do the same around the door handle. Note that I could still not open the other car doors, even from the inside, due to the strength of the ice. Then, of course, the car wouldn't start. So, melt a line around the edges of the hood. Call AAA, who injected antifreeze into various parts of the car, and then I was able to start the car and let it melt out.

Luckily I have an indoor garage at the moment. But anyway, if this sort of extreme weather happens to you, and you're not comfortable taking a torch to your car, get an extension cord and a hair dryer; it works eventually.

It was cold out today. Wile I was running errands, I noticed it took a few tries for the door to open when I put my hand in the handle and pulled. Thought it might be my cold skin, but the consensus in this thread seems to be that its pressure-based. Hadn't had this issue before today (and not while it was in the garage earlier,just while parked outside).

It was cold out today. Wile I was running errands, I noticed it took a few tries for the door to open when I put my hand in the handle and pulled. Thought it might be my cold skin, but the consensus in this thread seems to be that its pressure-based. Hadn't had this issue before today (and not while it was in the garage earlier,just while parked outside).

Do you have the firmware that enables auto-extension?

Sent via Tapatalk.