Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles Not Opening First Try

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched for this but the keywords are all over the place....

On my passenger side (both doors), I always have to push the fat part of the door handle in twice before the door will actually unlatch from the locking mechanism. It's the same old sticky seal deal that I have dealt with on multiple occasions. This is not a huge deal for me, but when I have passengers, they are always confused on why the door won't open and struggle with it.

Previously when I have had this issue, I've just called Tesla service and they've come out after a few weeks to fix it. Now my car is two years old and I'm wondering if they will still do it for free- it seems to be a design flaw that I feel like they should handle (pun not intended).

I'm wondering if there is a way I can fix this issue by myself since it happens every few months it seems like.

Thanks!

I've had this issue for over a year. 2 attempts at one SC to fix was unfruitful. Funny enough, my car is at another SC right now, and they are also having a hard time pinpointing the problem. They also don't have any historical precedent for this issue, so you and I might be in a very small minority. Here's what I know:

This is NOT an exterior door handle issue. When the problem first started to happen, it was winter, and it only happened when the car was in deep sleep. But over time, the frequency of the issue started to increase, and this summer, it's happened quite a few times. My passengers have also reported this happening when they are trying to GET OUT of the car. More recently the rear passenger door has started to behave this way as well. So this seems like a problem with a controller responsible for the passenger side of the car.

I've provided timestamps to multiple SCs, and unfortunately every incident, the car logs a successful door open. I also made a video of my problem - see if it's the same issue:

You'll notice in the video that the car status indicator on the screen shows the door in an open state despite me still pulling the door handle. This is likely why the logs show that the door was opened. I'll follow up with resolution if I get one, fingers crossed.

You'll notice in the video that the car status indicator on the screen shows the door in an open state despite me still pulling the door handle. This is likely why the logs show that the door was opened. I'll follow up with resolution if I get one, fingers crossed.

OK, YES! This is what is going on with mine too. Thanks for putting in that extra detail and the video.

I put in a service request and am scheduled, but now I'm worried they'll have no idea how to fix it. Hopefully they are able to resolve yours soon as well.

OK, YES! This is what is going on with mine too. Thanks for putting in that extra detail and the video.

I put in a service request and am scheduled, but now I'm worried they'll have no idea how to fix it. Hopefully they are able to resolve yours soon as well.
Hopefully they look into all the connections on VC_RIGHT to make sure none are loose or damaged, or maybe just replace the controller.

I forgot to update this thread as well. Mobile service came out and sprayed silicon lubricant into door handles and latches. Problem seems to have gone away although a few minutes ago the problem showed up one time again. So I’ll keep an eye on it.

alas, that's what a different SC said when I had my HW3 retrofit done. Something along these lines, "well, we weren't able to reproduce, but now that you have HW3, monitor it and see if it still happens." And of course, the HW3 retrofit made no difference.
Wow, bummer. The controller has already been replaced. What's left? Can they give you a new car?

update: car is back at the SC. this time, they said they traced the problem to the latches. Essentially the latches were not responding to the level of electrical current being sent to them. they replaced both latches on the passenger side doors and said the issue is fixed. I'm picking up tomorrow and will test it out. Hope they really got it this time.

Reactions: KenC