Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles (not unlocking)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every so often the door handle, on the drivers door only, will not allow for unlocking and opening the door. I sometimes either have to hold onto the door until it finally opens or go into the passengers side and open the door. All handles present themselves properly closing or opening and all other doors work fine. Only happens on the drivers door. I’ve had it to Tesla service now 4 times. Each time they say it’s some micro switch and they “replace it and then the door works fine for several months. It now has started doing the same thing again. Anyone else have this issue? If so any comment so I can deiscuss it thoroughly with Tesla? Thank you. BTW I have a 2015 Model S 85D

Sounds like a bad wire on the microswith of the door handle. There's some youtube videos with links to parts if you are a doityourselfer, but a mobile tech can do it as well.
From what I've read the after market wire harness tends to do better than the OEM.
This info is a couple years out of date since the last time I was dealing with such issues.

Reactions: DProffitt
Sounds like a bad wire on the microswith of the door handle. There's some youtube videos with links to parts if you are a doityourselfer, but a mobile tech can do it as well.
From what I've read the after market wire harness tends to do better than the OEM.
This info is a couple years out of date since the last time I was dealing with such issues.
Just curious why it would occur only on the one door after all this time and after having been replaced or repaired 3-4 times in the past.

Every so often the door handle, on the drivers door only, will not allow for unlocking and opening the door. I sometimes either have to hold onto the door until it finally opens or go into the passengers side and open the door. All handles present themselves properly closing or opening and all other doors work fine. Only happens on the drivers door. I’ve had it to Tesla service now 4 times. Each time they say it’s some micro switch and they “replace it and then the door works fine for several months. It now has started doing the same thing again. Anyone else have this issue? If so any comment so I can deiscuss it thoroughly with Tesla? Thank you. BTW I have a 2015 Model S 85D
Having mine looked at for the same exact issue on Tuesday (4/5). 2016 Model S 90D

Both right side handles present but won't unlatch the door. I've had a rolling appointment at the SC for a month that they keep pushing back by a week at the last minute. If I can find time I will try to go through the youtube videos and DIY. I started to once and found there was a cloth strap holding the panel to the door making it difficult to get out of the way.

I didn't want to cut it since I didn't know what it was there for, but I understand the rivet can be drilled out and replaced. I also found a couple of the white plastic push-rivets were sheared off - I don't think I did it, but unsure. So I thought hell with it, I'll just take it in when I have other things to look at.

Mine's a '15 P85D, I'd have thought those would all be on the new ones by now -- live and learn!

This happened to me. It was the wiring harness.

Terrible design. They're electrical switches that really aren't protected from the environment. Every time you get a car wash you're getting that harness wet. When I replaced mine I discovered that no only were the switches rusted out but the wires themselves were so oxidized that they just failed to complete the circuit.

I'm not aware of an upgraded aftermarket replacement harness. I know there's some aftermarket options but I haven't seen any that does what it takes to waterproof these.