Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles permanently presented - good option settable by user?

Would you like an option such that you could have door handles always out?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 55 93.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like a setting on the controls that would permanently present the door handles. I'm sick of waiting for them to open - 90% of the time I approach the car from the rear so auto-present is late opening them. I also don't like them auto-presenting every time I go into the garage, so I tried turning off auto-present. But now I have to push the button on the keyfob and get them to come out as I approach, or push on them when I get there. All in all, I wish the car had normal door handles!

Please vote in the poll - very unscientific and just for fun - would you like to be able to tell your car to leave the door handles out all the time?

How much do you think it would cost in range? I'm guessing 5 miles or less on a full charge.

Based on the poll, I wouldn't hold my breath to get this option.

LOL!!! No, I think its not happening! But based on the assumption Tesla reads the forum, hopefully somebody at least read it and maybe the stupid handles will improve somehow. They really suck. If the 3 doesn't have them it will be a major incentive to switch from S to 3. Surely they're too expensive for the 3?? Or maybe they'll make them an option on the 3 at least.

Presenting Handles are not on the X, so I suspect Elon is beyond them. Cost will certainly be a much greater concern on M3 so I'm anticipating a bit more utilitarian model with not as many standard bells and whistles as we have on MS and MX.

The Model S is the silkiest, sexiest, slipperiest vehicle on the road. The retractable door handles are simply part of this package. They might not work perfectly all the time, but they are just one more thing people ask about - "How do you get in the car?" They are different for a reason. I like that.

I have no issue with them retracting when in motion, but they are a pain when parked, they are slow to extend and often don't when the car is asleep or I approach it from the back. What's the point to having them retracted when the car is stopped anyway?

As far as if this option could be added - I still don't see why the software doesn't allow pretty much any feasible option. All this stuff is controlled by software, and if the Tesla engineers are at all competent, it's all in a configuration table in the code. Just make it user accessible page. Their thinking seems to be stuck back in the ICE UI model of fixed controls.

If they don't want to do it, make the API available for 3rd parties and get out of the way.

Handles that are extended when the car is off makes it appear that the car is unlocked. ICE cars don't have retractable handles, so if a thief ambles by and pulls on the handles, nothing happens, and he moves along. Would the same be true if it were a Tesla and no one was around? This feature might invite more scrutiny by a potential bad guy. (I am not a bad guy, so I do not have that sort of intuition.)

I don't know the mechanics or the electronics of the door handles. Can the doors be forced open with a tool when the handles are retracted? Would it be easier to accomplish if the handles were extended?

For what it is worth (doubtless very little) I fail to see all the fuss about this situation. The fact that the handles do not present themselves to me on rare occasions does not even register with me.

I learned long ago that we need to pick our battles in life. This situation should not be among those! :smile:

I read this poll as "Do I want the option" Sure! I like options.
I wish the option were also GPS dependent. No sense going through a bunch of duty cycles on my door handles every time I walk past my car as its parked in my garage. Sometimes, I actually open the drivers door to the first latch just so it stops constantly presenting and retracting the damn handles. Unnecessary wear and tear for sure.