Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles Presented without Key Fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the garage the other day, talking with my wife, and I leaned pack against the left rear door. I must have been putting pressure on the door handle.

The handles presented without the key fob present. Additionally, that rear door handle that I was leaning on immediately became stuck out and would not open the door or retract. The adjacent door did open, even though the key was not present.

Any reason pressure on a handle might cause it to present and get stuck? The obvious answer would be that the key fob must have been within range. However, the fob was where I normally store it which is about 40 feet away, one floor above the car and garage. I have not seen this before or after, I've owned two Model S and have always stored the key in this location.

It was equally weird that the rear handle decided to get stuck extended. I took the door apart and was able to get it working again. I removed power and pushed the handle back in. Once power was reapplied the handle works normally. I zip tied a loose wire that may have interfered but I'm not really sure why it stuck.

I have noticed that my model S 2016 presents the door handle without the key fob present.
We had our Lexus stolen two days ago so are a bit sensitive to Relay Attacks ie Man in the Middle compromises.
So, we ordered RFID protectors - two Faraday Envelops and a Box. When I put the fob into the bag I can get into the car just by touching the door handle.
When I get into the car, it won't let me start the vehicle "key not inside car" error.

As well, my wife is worried that the doors don't lock on exit for ~1 minute. She often gets out of the car, but leaves her purse inside. The doors lock eventually but not sure why it takes so long and why the interior is available without the fob.

Any suggestions?

When I go in my car while it’s parked in the garage. I click the Lock Screen where you program keys, and it highlights which key is active.

My key fobs both are detected with one inside the house and another upstairs.