Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles retracting and pinching fingers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice now in so many days has my 2021 Model S passenger door handle pinched my wife's fingers really hard causing quite a bit of pain. Has anyone else had problems with this? I want to escalate it with Tesla but I'm not sure what if anything they would do about it. Surely this is a long standing problem?

Assuming you are talking about the exterior retracting handle. How does this happen? They come out, and stay out for many seconds, until the door is opened from one of them. If they are not out, you press the handle to make it come out. Unless the timing is very bad, they do not retract when you grab them. How are your wife's fingers getting pinched - Ouch!? What seems to not be working correctly?

Yes the extra handles. The first time she went to open the door a little while after I'd already got on the car. Granted I think it's a timing thing but she'd put her hand in to grab I presume right at the moment it retracted. The second time was when she was holding the a rear door for someone getting in the car.

That seems normal handle behavior if she just happened to grab it when it was about to retract. Try keeping your door open until she gets in. Handles will stay out. Also, holding the door open by the handle may pinch when it eventually decides to retract. Again, I do not think a passenger door will retract, even with door open, if your door is not closed.