Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Warning! My car is not actually auto-locking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manual says that if you double-click the key fob while all doors are closed, it disables walk-away locking temporarily until you get into the car and turn it on with the brake pedal. Is that a possibility here?

Came out of Raily's last night and from a distance of several hundred feet away I saw my MS headlights on in the distance. As I approached, I realize the handles were already out even though I was still 50+ feet away. The car had not auto locked.

This morning the handles won't present and the car won't unlock unless I press the fob button to unlock it.

Same with both fobs. Car won't auto lock or unlock at all now and won't respond to touching a handle to unlock.

I was fortunate that I didn't have my briefcase in the car. I've been depending on this feature and to have it fail like this means I can never trust it again. Very unfortunate.

I rebooted both center console and the cluster. No difference.

1) You're not storing any fobs in the car, I assume.

2) Do an experiment. Leave your fob a long way from the car, and walk up to the car without your fob. Are the handles extended or retracted? If extended, what happens if you pull on them? If retracted, what happens if you press them to extend the handles?

My headlights turn off as soon as the car turns off, which is when my butt leaves the seat. Even if it stays on, the handles should retract after 30-60 seconds (can't remember which) of being stationary and in park regardless of whether walk-away locking is turned on or not. I usually watch for the lights to flash as I walk away to make sure it locked.

Sounds like it's time to call the SC to schedule an appointment and have them pull the logs so they can be forwarded to engineering.

The manual says that if you double-click the key fob while all doors are closed, it disables walk-away locking temporarily until you get into the car and turn it on with the brake pedal. Is that a possibility here?

I was going to post similarly. I've also heard it stated that unlocking with the fob may prevent auto-lock from resuming until you re-lock with the fob... but I haven't tested that. I actually suspect that poster was misinterpreting what you stated from the manual.

I have the same problem. The car doesn't lock. Either walk away or single press on the fob. I thought it was just the newbie. Haven't even driven the car yet, no plates

The other give away that the car has locked is the mirrors will fold in. A few times I have walked away, and the mirrors didn't fold in..turned out I left my fob in the car. So I give a second glance at the car to see the mirrors are folded.

Never had the problem of not being able to lock the car by pressing the fob button.

The other give away that the car has locked is the mirrors will fold in. A few times I have walked away, and the mirrors didn't fold in..turned out I left my fob in the car. So I give a second glance at the car to see the mirrors are folded.

That of course depends on whether or not you have the mirrors set to fold or not.

I once had a mini-argument with my wife about whether or not the car was locked because we could see it from the diner we were eating in, and it looked to me like the mirrors were not folded, so I assumed somehow the car had not locked itself. She was sure she had actually locked the car manually. (We also have the walk away locking enabled, so it made no sense that the car would not have been locked, but the mirrors really appeared to be unfolded.) When we returned to the car we discovered that the mirrors were, in fact, not folded, but the car was locked. This had been a rare time when I had been the passenger, and my wife had driven, with me in the car. Somehow her driver profile did not have the mirrors set to fold. I corrected that on the spot.