Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Warning! Random Door Opening While Locked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear passenger side door popped and swung wide open as I turned onto my street today! Came home from work (30 minute drive), stopped to get mail - left driver door open, got mail, sat back down, put on seatbelt and drove about 100 yards home. Turned twice and on second turn I heard the mechanism 'pop' and the door swung completely open, I nearly clipped a parked car. I had to get out and close it. I was going very slow, there were some kids playing there - less than 10 mph. Nobody has been in that seat for a week. Worried now, what if I have a grandkid sitting there?

Yow, definitely contact service right away. Tell them the date/time of the incident, as best you can remember, so they can look at the car's log recordings.

Yow, definitely contact service right away. Tell them the date/time of the incident, as best you can remember, so they can look at the car's log recordings.

I called the service center. I will post their findings here. More to come.

*update, next day...*
Tesla service took the report seriously and sent tech out the next day to replace handle. Ugly job to remove inner door panel, window sill, window, etc to get to that handle.

If it happens again I will post here...

*update 1 month later...*
No more issues since handle replaced.

*update 4 months after incident - no more issues at all.*
Shock

Last edited:
I know this isn't funny, but it reminded me of when I was driving an old beater during college. The front drivers door wouldn't latch in sub-freezing temperatures, so I used to rope the two front doors together. I'd get in, put my seat-belt on, then tie the rope between the two doors across my chest/stomach. Probably not safe, but it did get some attention when the rope stretched, and the door would open a couple of inches on corners!

I know this isn't funny, but it reminded me of when I was driving an old beater during college. The front drivers door wouldn't latch in sub-freezing temperatures, so I used to rope the two front doors together. I'd get in, put my seat-belt on, then tie the rope between the two doors across my chest/stomach. Probably not safe, but it did get some attention when the rope stretched, and the door would open a couple of inches on corners!

It would be an anomaly if we all didn't have some sort of experience like this! In the final days of my 2 door Jetta, the driver's seat latches were completely broken so I had to prop up the seat back with a plastic milk crate until I found a guy willing to weld the seat in one position.

I've had my door handles extend only once and the passenger front door open to the first click. Hasn't happened again, but will definitely bring up along with several other quirks when I go in for service.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Yesterday my driver's door popped open right as I put the car in park in a parking stall. Really felt like a software issue, not hardware. I've had a door pop open only twice in 4,700 miles. Both times it was when shifting to park.

The thing is, when you shift to park, the handles extend (and basically "arm" themselves to open the door with the slightest tug). I'm thinking that the microswitch that activates the door latch solenoid is so sensitive, that it accidentally triggers when the handles extend. Having said that, it still doesn't explain the instances of doors popping open while underway.

Yesterday my driver's door popped open right as I put the car in park in a parking stall. Really felt like a software issue, not hardware. I've had a door pop open only twice in 4,700 miles. Both times it was when shifting to park.

It happened to me 5 minutes ago. As I pulled into my garage and when I placed the car in PARK the passenger side rear door POPPED OPEN. I called Tesla and left them a message.

I've had intermittent problems with 3 if the 4 door handles on the car. Two extend, but will at times will not open the door. One, at times, does not extend at all. Are these problems part of physical problem with the handles or are they a software gliche?

I've had intermittent problems with 3 if the 4 door handles on the car. Two extend, but will at times will not open the door. One, at times, does not extend at all. Are these problems part of physical problem with the handles or are they a software gliche?

Could be either. I don't know of anyway to tell. (On the other hand I've never had the issue.)

I have had issues with my back (passenger side) door spontaneously opening. That was fixed but then today my back driver's side door opened twice on its own. All times this has happened (on either door) was when car was in park. Either I had just got into car or I had just shifted from park to another gear. What is frustrating for me is that it just doesn't seem like they know why it's happening. Otherwise, I can't understand why it can't be permanently fixed. Besides this issue, I really love the car.

Odd that you should have this problem now. Have you called service? I haven't had this problem since they replaced door handles over a year ago. I figured it was an early adopter issue that has been resolved.
Yes I did call service yesterday and am waiting for call back. I just don't get it. I had the handle replaced on the back driver's side earlier in the Spring because the handle was auto-presenting spontaneously. But the door wasn't opening, just the handle was auto-presenting. The passenger side back door started spontaneously opening and that was fixed. But now as of yesterday the driver's side back door is opening. It happened twice in a row but has not happened today.

This appears to be a software issue because rebooting stops it for a while. I have the original handles, and I'm not keen on getting the new ones until the fix the lights so they shine outside the door.

This appears to be a software issue because rebooting stops it for a while. I have the original handles, and I'm not keen on getting the new ones until the fix the lights so they shine outside the door.

THanks for the tip. I have an appointment on Tuesday to fix it so I will mention the rebooting idea. Appreciate your thoughts. I am not concerned terribly about it. I hope it can be fixed once and for all but there has never been an incident where the door opened while car was in motion. :)

Looking at the teslamotors.com forum, it looks like someone discussed the hidden light issue last September. Do you think Tesla is in fact working on a fix, or just calling it "as designed" at this point?