Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen a few posts regarding non working doors. I am having a battle with service center which is not going to end well for them if they keep pushing.

But but those who have had door handles issues and non opening doors, what was the item that fixed it?

Do you mean the Model S classic issue with the handles failing to open the doors when pulled on? Lots of You Tube videos about these include James Cooke's and Rich Rebuilds (Car Gurus). The original issue was bad design where the wires bent each time the door (handle) was used, leading to wire fatigue. When they are replaced, I believe the wires are rerouted to have less movement.

Not sure why an SC would fight you on a non-working door. What's their counter? How can it not be an issue they need to fix?

Reactions: Bebop
Aren't there (at least) two distinct failure behaviors? I had a rear door handle fail, in such a way that it would no longer present. But just this weekend for the first time, I have had problems with my driver's door, with a different behavior: the handle extends, but further than usual, and it gets stuck in the extended position. Pulling on the handle does nothing, and the door must be opened from the inside. I assume these two different behaviors indicate two different types of internal failures.

Reactions: David.85D
The issue I have that started this morning is the door handle on the passenger front won't present itself when unlock. However, when you open it from the inside, it will present itself and stay presented as your open and close the door. But once it goes back flush in, it would not present itself again.

Do you mean the Model S classic issue with the handles failing to open the doors when pulled on? Lots of You Tube videos about these include James Cooke's and Rich Rebuilds (Car Gurus). The original issue was bad design where the wires bent each time the door (handle) was used, leading to wire fatigue. When they are replaced, I believe the wires are rerouted to have less movement.

Not sure why an SC would fight you on a non-working door. What's their counter? How can it not be an issue they need to fix?
Rich just posted another video showing the various gen assemblies, common issues, and fixes with upgraded parts.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
The issue where the door handle extends but does not open the door from the exterior has happened to my 2013 P85 a few times. They had to replace the handle in mid-2015. The SAME handle presented with the SAME issue again this week, on the way to the service center to pick up another vehicle. After they determined that it was NOT the $150 cable replacement they originally quoted, they called me to get permission to replace the entire handle for $470. I refused. I took it up the ladder and finally got them to replace the handle gratis. I think they do have a known issue with handles presenting that will not open the door. Tesla needs to address this as a KNOWN ISSUE.

• Informative
1) Wire breaks due to metal fatigue. Easy fix requiring about an hour of time.
2) Pivot gear breaks. Costs $3 for gear but takes a few hours to replace.

In both cases, tesla will replace the entire door handle module rather than fix it if you bring it to them.

I've had the wire break on my drivers side door and I did the typical re-route that prevents future failures. I suspect the other 3 will happen eventually. Drivers handle was first because a year into its life (it's 4 years now) I changed the setting to only extend the drivers door.

• Informative