Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles

swengl

Dec 19, 2014
Lynchburg, VA
Please Elon, don't put the retractable door handles (like the Model S) on the CyberTruck! I've gone through 2 of them already on my S and, while they are cool, they are not all that practical and seem prone to breaking. I would be OK with the option to have the driver door self present without touching the handle. Using the phone app as a "key" (using Bluetooth because cell service doesn't have 100% coverage) would be nice, as well.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad

vletnguyen

Nov 20, 2016
FL/MN
I agree, while its cool and I do like them, having to make sure the handles arent frozen in the winter time and worrying about randomly breaking. Maybe make them a hybrid between the model X and model 3/y .

My model S had 5 of them replaced. The last one I did myself (out of warranty). The piece that broke cost like 2 bucks and took me three hours. The new versions have a stronger gear piece which has lasted a while *fingers crossed*

Reactions: swengl

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
I hope the handles are similar to the X, never had an issue with the cold, or anything else (you press the handle in).

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
I went back and looked at the launch video a couple of times...Pre-production model has retractable handles like the S.

S3XY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Buffalo, NY
As with everything "Tesla" I'm sure they will improve the engineering to make them more durable.

swengl

Dec 19, 2014
Lynchburg, VA
As with everything "Tesla" I'm sure they will improve the engineering to make them more durable.
To be fair, they already have improved durability over the original handles (made in/before 2015). The cost of replacement has come down quite a bit, as well. If they use the same handles, I would still buy a CyberTruck.

Reactions: S3XY

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC