TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door handles

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Merrill, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Has anyone found that if you let the car sit for 24 hours and walk up to the car the door handles will not extend unless you use the key fob.

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

By design - the car goes into vacation mode. (Or is it abandonment mode...).

However, I think it's 48 hours and not 24?

3. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

According to Tesla it's 24 hours.

4. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

I am having problems with my door handles in general. The drivers side rear door extends, but the door will not open. The door will open from the inside. For a while the passenger side rear doors handle would not extend, but now it does(?). I did learn by experience that the car does not really lock, unless you set the control panel or use your cell phone. One day I walked up to the car, touched the handles, which extended and I got into the car. As I tried to put the car in forward, the display noted that I did not have the key. Yet, I opened the car without a problem. Clicking the top of the key does not seem to lock the car when I leave. Thanks for the message about the vacation mode.