Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind clarifying or pointing to a picture of where exactly these "pulls" are? Are they accessible from someone sitting in the front seats? Would just like to know for future reference.

See my post on the prior page of this very thread.
The rear handles are not manually connected, but there is a manual release at the edges of the seat under the carpeting.

And Gizmotoy's post a little further down.
Which, quite frankly, I've always thought was a substantial safety issue. In the event of some kind of emergency, does every one of your rear passengers know if the car loses power they need to fumble around under the seats to find a tiny slit in the carpet, move that carpet aside, find a little tab connected to a wire, and then yank on it to escape the vehicle?

Not exactly a great first impression: "Hey, come for a ride in the Tesla! Oh, by the way, in case of emergency you might have to find and yank on some wire under the seat to get out. Have fun!".

Which, quite frankly, I've always thought was a substantial safety issue. In the event of some kind of emergency, does every one of your rear passengers know if the car loses power they need to fumble around under the seats to find a tiny slit in the carpet, move that carpet aside, find a little tab connected to a wire, and then yank on it to escape the vehicle?

Not exactly a great first impression: "Hey, come for a ride in the Tesla! Oh, by the way, in case of emergency you might have to find and yank on some wire under the seat to get out. Have fun!"

Tesla got a lot right, but they botched some fundamentals. Door handles are something that should always work. You should always be able to close the hood without damaging it. This is basic stuff.

Is the trunk latch similar to the rear doors? (I read the manual, something about an over ride in case power goes out)

If the car loses power, how easy is it for me to get the kids out?

Is the trunk latch similar to the rear doors? (I read the manual, something about an over ride in case power goes out)

If the car loses power, how easy is it for me to get the kids out?

From inside the car, not terribly easy. It'd likely be easier for your kids to do it themselves. There's the electric button by the seats I'm sure you know about, and the mechanical release is on the hatch near the light. You have to remove a little cover piece, and then inside that there's a plastic tab velcroed to the body with a wire attached. Hopefully, anyway. Mine was loose and I had to fish around for it, but fortunately it can't get very far. Anyway, once you have the tab give it a good yank and the hatch releases. It's actually pretty easy if you've done it before. You might want to run a drill with your kids just in case.

From outside the car there's nothing, so if there's no power stay inside to guide them through the process before you get out. Were your door to accidentally close again you wouldn't be able to get back in without breaking a window.

Edit: Note the manual has this all documented pretty well with pictures. It's also written assuming you have rear facing seats. Those without them, don't hop in the back and close the hatch to clean the window expecting to be able to get out using the button the manual talks about, because you don't have one.

Last edited:
From inside the car, not terribly easy. It'd likely be easier for your kids to do it themselves. There's the electric button by the seats I'm sure you know about, and the mechanical release is on the hatch near the light. You have to remove a little cover piece, and then inside that there's a plastic tab velcroed to the body with a wire attached. Hopefully, anyway. Mine was loose and I had to fish around for it, but fortunately it can't get very far. Anyway, once you have the tab give it a good yank and the hatch releases. It's actually pretty easy if you've done it before. You might want to run a drill with your kids just in case.

From outside the car there's nothing, so if there's no power stay inside to guide them through the process before you get out. Were your door to accidentally close again you wouldn't be able to get back in without breaking a window.

Edit: Note the manual has this all documented pretty well with pictures. It's also written assuming you have rear facing seats. Those without them, don't hop in the back and close the hatch to clean the window expecting to be able to get out using the button the manual talks about, because you don't have one.
My kids found the button release during a test drive at a red light... lol, I freaked out and ran around the car too close it by hand and later enabled child lock.

And yes, I'm asking because I ordered with child seats (and power lift gate)

Thanks!

Let's just hope then you don't have toddlers aboard that are fastened into their child seats like they should be. How could you get those out if they can't do it by themselves? I would call that a potentially very serious safety hazard actually. Never thought of that before.

Yes, buy the power liftgate. Then you can close it from the touchscreen when they do that!

I could've done it during the test drive too, but I couldn't figure out which button to press (quickly) so I just ran out :eek:

The Tesla rep didn't come with us for the test drive, since this was our 3rd? 4th? test drive and they finally got a car with the rear seats and I just wanted to see if the kids like it.

Let's just hope then you don't have toddlers aboard that are fastened into their child seats like they should be. How could you get those out if they can't do it by themselves? I would call that a potentially very serious safety hazard actually. Never thought of that before.

That was my concern too (and I only realized it's a concern AFTER I placed my order...).

As for unfastening, the rear seats have a VERY easy to unbuckle latch. My 4 year old unbuckled herself during the test drive (and I didn't realize until we were done). Whereas her typical carseat takes an adult, 4 hands and a crowbar to unlatch...

I'm more concerned let's say... after a car accident. Sure I can open my drivers door on my own, the rear passengers (adults hopefully) can fiddle under the carpet and figure out how to get out, but getting the kids out... that may be more problematic if the car cuts power off.

If I had children, especially needing car seats I would not buy a Model S. Kids ability to operate the system in an emergency is problematic. Tesla must have thought this out and seems willing to take on the liability. A jury trial involving injury to children as the result of not being able to open the rear doors will result in the needed change. Too bad they can't make these decisions before someone is injured. I am a P85D owner and I love my car but for anyone riding in the rear seats it is not one of the "safest cars".

As a bit of a consolation, the power liftgate runs off the 12V system, so it should still be available after a crash. But yes, and easier to access manual release would have been nice.

Thinking about this a bit further. Does the Tesla (and if not, should it?) unlatch all doors, frunk, and trunk in the event a crash is detected? Seems like a logical move to me.