TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door Handles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by B0B0, Apr 17, 2016.

1. B0B0

B0B0 Member

I hope the Model 3 switches to the pop-out door handles! I love the look on the MS version. This would definitely be needed on the matte black finish to reduce finger prints and marks.

In the article (photos) below, it seems the various prototypes have different handles.

Tesla Model 3 Roundup: prototypes spotted in the wild [Gallery]

2. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

pretty sure that isn't going to be the case.
    Powered handles=expensive=not Model 3

• Like x 1
  3. Ssssly

Ssssly Member

I'd expect it to be an option, but definitely not base level.

4. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

I think from the test drive videos people posted they said they would be pop out. The other two M3's at the reveal were prototypes that had the Model S and X handles.

5. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Not really a fan of the pop-out handles. They seem gimmicky and of questionable benefit.

• Like x 1
  6. ttupper92618

ttupper92618 Member

They are similar to the handles on many Aston Martin cars. People seem to like them.

7. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

At first I thought auto-presenting door handles would be the best thing ever but even current Model S still have issues with them. So, even if auto handles are an option, I'll be sticking with plain old mechanical.

8. swesson

swesson Member

I agree with the non-auto presenting camp. After a week in the Model X, the novelty has worn off. The problem is, everytime my wife walks out to her car, my X door auto-presents because she is within the detection zone and her fob is in her purse. Plus, as others have said on other forums, the door sensor is not 100% reliable and often opens too far, hitting things in my garage.

9. mhan00

mhan00 Member

No auto presenting handles for me. Simple is better. At the volumes Tesla hopes to sell the 3 at, they can't afford a slew of service calls to fix malfunctioning handles like they had with the S.

10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

I wouldn't mind at all if MS type door handles is a option/upgrade. To reach the $35K price tag - no options. $50K+ price tag = automate everything - even auto opening doors as on the MX