Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door hinge attachment bolts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to replace the driver's door upper hinge on my Wife's treasured Model S. Are the nuts that hold the hinge captured nuts or are they loose and destined to fall to the bottom of the door and A pillar when I remove the bolts.

I have the exploded diagram for the door showing the hinges but I cannot tell if the nuts are captured.

TIA,

Eric

Update:

I changed the driver's upper hinge this morning. An easy task, it took about 15 munutes with an eBay sourced hinge. The nuts for the hinge are indeed captured.

Tesla had quoted my wife $600 to install a new hinge!!!

Job done!!

Eric

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Hi EriCal, what was the symptom of the bad hinge. I am having loud popping noise when closing my door. I think its the hinge but the sound is coming from the door just below the hinge...Just curious if that is/was your issue. I tried lubricating the hinge and it solved the issue for about a day.

Also the bolts look like normal bolts that should come out pretty easily and not get lost.

One of my door bolts was badly cross threaded, possibly from the factory. When I tried to remove it, the nut broke off its retainer plate. I had to drill the bolt head off. Then I welded a nut onto a steel retainer plate and riveted this to the door. It's not the neatest repair, but it works.

Attachments

• DSC_0310.JPG
    DSC_0310.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0311.JPG
    DSC_0311.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 44