Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door is within spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, well…I’m getting the dreaded “within spec” response to trying to get alignment fixed on my Falcon Wing Doors on my new Model X. Are any of you successful in getting these guys to reconsider?

The passenger side falcon wing door has clear misalignment with the handle on the front door, the “garnish” is recessed behind that of the fender, the door doesn’t line up with the pillar at the top and when the door is all the way open it’s pressed against the glass, where the other side is not. Here are some photos. How is this “within spec”? If they won’t fix it, has anyone adjusted these themselves? Completely insane to consider doing this myself on a brand new $150k car, but I’m particular about things and this will drive me insane.

Pics attached…tell me if I’m being too picky.

A5BBD3C4-731E-465E-9914-A4D8EAA38C98.jpeg
20E504BC-02A9-48DB-8A76-D10061D5073E.jpeg
2B8E2551-0DCB-4A6E-9261-3A6CBD46329E.jpeg

For fun, here’s the passenger side, which they have dispositioned yet.

411B2F2C-369A-4C81-BADD-B9CA1221F600.jpeg

18BF172E-13FF-44AA-8B11-5C0B6D42ABE6.jpeg

Okay, so after arguing with the, uhm, gentleman at Tesla and him telling me the fender garnish can be maligned by up to 3mm (mine was 2mm) and him telling me this is good enough I left. Then I came home and noticed an adjustable rubber stopper. Two turns of it and now it lines up perfectly. Anyone think this is a problem?

Here’s the before:

C3A94C3E-FD75-471D-B4C9-600E0D9D6E09.jpeg

Here’s the rubber thing I turned:

0E7291B3-D4DD-4320-A6E8-F79D79660982.jpeg

And here is the after:
DEC9FC5D-ACFD-4593-B19A-1F4DCD1E8C14.jpeg

Alright, well…I’m getting the dreaded “within spec” response to trying to get alignment fixed on my Falcon Wing Doors on my new Model X. Are any of you successful in getting these guys to reconsider?

The passenger side falcon wing door has clear misalignment with the handle on the front door, the “garnish” is recessed behind that of the fender, the door doesn’t line up with the pillar at the top and when the door is all the way open it’s pressed against the glass, where the other side is not. Here are some photos. How is this “within spec”? If they won’t fix it, has anyone adjusted these themselves? Completely insane to consider doing this myself on a brand new $150k car, but I’m particular about things and this will drive me insane.

Pics attached…tell me if I’m being too picky.

View attachment 877319View attachment 877320View attachment 877322

For fun, here’s the passenger side, which they have dispositioned yet.

View attachment 877323

View attachment 877324
I had an alignment issue with my Falcon wing doors on my 2019 Model X that was similar. Tesla gave me a hard time about fixing it. One thing I would recommend is that you open both falcon wing doors and the rear lift gate at the same time and see if everything has enough room to fully open together. The rear driver side door was so misaligned that the corner of the Falcon Wing Door and the Rear Lift Gate would hit and rub against each other if they were both open at the same time. It resulted in some paint scrapping and the corner of the door being damaged. Tesla eventually replaced the entire door and the lift gate when I pointed it out to them. It just took a while. It was at least one mobile service and a trip or two to the service center before they finally agreed to replace things.

I had an alignment issue with my Falcon wing doors on my 2019 Model X that was similar. Tesla gave me a hard time about fixing it. One thing I would recommend is that you open both falcon wing doors and the rear lift gate at the same time and see if everything has enough room to fully open together. The rear driver side door was so misaligned that the corner of the Falcon Wing Door and the Rear Lift Gate would hit and rub against each other if they were both open at the same time. It resulted in some paint scrapping and the corner of the door being damaged. Tesla eventually replaced the entire door and the lift gate when I pointed it out to them. It just took a while. It was at least one mobile service and a trip or two to the service center before they finally agreed to replace things.
I'll try that now.

EDIT: Just checked...WOW! I can't imagine how out of whack yours must have been for them to touch. I've got what appears to be several INCHES of clearance between the doors and trunk when they're all open/opening.

Okay, so after arguing with the, uhm, gentleman at Tesla and him telling me the fender garnish can be maligned by up to 3mm (mine was 2mm) and him telling me this is good enough I left. Then I came home and noticed an adjustable rubber stopper. Two turns of it and now it lines up perfectly. Anyone think this is a problem?

Here’s the before:

View attachment 877702

Here’s the rubber thing I turned:

View attachment 877703

And here is the after:
View attachment 877704
It definitely looks better, but this is their typical thing, “in spec”. Wait until you were out of warranty and have to pay for things, they still use that excuse that they will do repairs that will make your car worse, and then say it is “in spec” This is not a BMW or Toyota or even a Kia. This is a Tesla where everything is fine because it is ““ in spec.

If it wasn’t for their charging network, I would get a Ford mustang. In fact, next year, when they start opening up charging stations to other cars in my area like Ford. They are really going to shoot themselves in the foot because the Ford interior is way better built than theirs. This is my “in spec”

Attachments

• IMG_6459.png
    IMG_6459.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6458.png
    IMG_6458.png
    2 MB · Views: 51