Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door leaks, stuck "open"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We didn’t make it to the car wash this week. I’m sure we will go this coming Thursday or Friday. We are taking a 14-ish hour road trip on Monday. The car will need a wash when we return!

@BillSmith We washed the car today at the same automatic, touch less car wash. No windows came down. No leaks. I was in the back seat with towels, just in case the issue happened again!

I agree with the idea of check the seal on the wiring channel. I’ll look at that once in a while.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@BillSmith We washed the car today at the same automatic, touch less car wash. No windows came down. No leaks. I was in the back seat with towels, just in case the issue happened again!

I agree with the idea of check the seal on the wiring channel. I’ll look at that once in a while.

@adayley - Thank you so much for the follow up. After the post about the seal on the little boot I checked both ours and sure enough. Driver side was fine and has not had the issue and the passenger side the boot was not sealed. I have yet to go back to the car wash as we went to Hawaii last week but just got back and mobile service will not come to our house. I just scheduled mobile service but they can't come for 3 weeks. I put in the notes about replacing the wire harness for the door and will see what they say back.

I will let everyone know when I go back to get another wash. Might try another local car wash as the Quick Quack does seem a little more aggressive than other car washes I have gone through any way.

Reactions: adayley
I just had this problem on my 3 month old MY. Went through a touchless automatic wash and as the jets sprayed the rear passenger side door, the window rolled down about one inch, the car started beeping and displayed a notice saying the door was open. Got about a liter of soapy water in the backseats and floor. The car said door was open all the way home, I couldn't roll up the window. The error went away by morning presumably after everything dried out.

I made a service appointment and got a repair estimate for "Correction: Latch - Door - RH (Remove & Replace)", covered under warranty. Hoping this fixes it!

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Anyone have a definitive fix for this?

I've had the same issue with my 2021 MY a few times, after washing it, (but haven't had an issue with rain) - same passenger side rear door...

Took it through a touchless car wash a few weeks ago and recalibrating the window seemed to fix it.

Had it again today after hand washing in my driveway... recalibrating didn't help... rebooting it seemed to fix it temporarily... but then a few minutes later the alarm went off because the car thought the door was open.

I worry that if it happens again, I won't be able to lock it and the window will be down just enough for rain to get in. Service centre is closed today but will take it in tomorrow morning.

We had service out twice for this issue.
- First time they replaces the door latch assembly.
- After it happened again on the same rear door, they came out and adjusted the latch and the door alignment.

Hasn’t been a problem after that.
Famous last words.

Got the car washed today and that same door thought it was open!

I need to check the wiring channel seal, as suggested in this thread.

I also think we may need to get another service appointment. Or a magnetic sheet to put over the door handle when washing the car. Or not use that car wash anymore.

Anybody know how to order those plastic clips? I’m having the same issue the wire harness is getting wet the clips are broken.

Would be nice to just replace the plastic clips myself instead of an expensive service repair.