Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door leaks, stuck "open"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can reproduce it reliably by letting the water from the hose just run over the Y (no pressure needed). Always the rear passenger door. I'm going to schedule a service as this is one of several issues bothering me recently. I've not seen the problem in the rain ironically, only while trying to wash the car at home in the sun.

Thank you all for documenting this so well!

This problem just happened to our September 2020 Model Y. We experienced it on the rear driver side door. We played with the door, opening and closing, trying to get it to sense that the door was closed. At one point it would think the door was closed but would change the rear door to open when we opened only the front driver door! Thankfully it settled out and we didn’t have to drive home with a constant warning beep. Does, indeed seem like water getting on the electrical stuff and causing false signals.

I will set a service appointment and point to this thread as reference.

Rule #1. Never take your car to a car wash. Touchless or not.
Rule #2. Get an electric pressure washer and wash it yourself. It's easy and fun.
I grew up in California, am back in California and have spent most of my life in CA. But, I did live in WA state for over 9 years.

When in WA, I actually heard warnings and encouragements to NOT wash one's car at home because of what ends up in storm drains. When I lived in WA, I had no ability to wash my car at "home" anyway as I lived in apartments there the whole time.

See Washington Waters - ours to protect - Washington State Department of Ecology under Car washing or https://ecology.wa.gov/DOE/files/bc/bcc07dbd-992f-402d-b7d2-c91c29874299.pdf.

Although I didn't live in most of the places belo, here are some stances I found on it:
Washing cars in your driveway or street | Bothell WA
Stream Friendly Car Wash Information | Marysville, WA - Official Website
The Problem with Car Washing - Utilities | seattle.gov

I've never heard of such warnings in CA... if they existed, I'm not sure they're common knowledge amongst most CA drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: NaiWiste
Thank you all for documenting this so well!

This problem just happened to our September 2020 Model Y. We experienced it on the rear driver side door. We played with the door, opening and closing, trying to get it to sense that the door was closed. At one point it would think the door was closed but would change the rear door to open when we opened only the front driver door! Thankfully it settled out and we didn’t have to drive home with a constant warning beep. Does, indeed seem like water getting on the electrical stuff and causing false signals.

I will set a service appointment and point to this thread as reference.

Mobile service came to my home this morning. He said the logs of the car shows the door latch releasing without the door handle being actuated. He replaced the door latch of the offending door. He then checked all the seals and such, had the whole door apart. He didn’t see anything else out of place. Took him about an hour.

I’m afraid to test it in a car wash again. But, the engineer in me will make me do it!

adayley: HAHA! The SMARTER engineer, on your other shoulder, is telling you to avoid the car wash and wet the car down with your hose!!!

Way too many potential "fails" for the automated car wash: charge door accidentally opening, inconsistent "rain sensing" wipers coming on...to name 2 possible issues. Others have had issues with windows randomly opening.

Mobile service came to my home this morning. He said the logs of the car shows the door latch releasing without the door handle being actuated. He replaced the door latch of the offending door. He then checked all the seals and such, had the whole door apart. He didn’t see anything else out of place. Took him about an hour.

I’m afraid to test it in a car wash again. But, the engineer in me will make me do it!

- Did you go and try the car wash again? I have had the same issue and have to drive 2 hours for Service so trying to determine if it is worth if to have the service. It has done it twice for me now. The first time right as we pulled into the car wash so water was gushing in the whole time and then towards the end of the car wash yesterday. Went to the same car wash 2 times before and never had any issues. Frustrating.

Nice that you had efficient mobile service for this. Wish the same was possible for me.

Unfortunately, I had to make two 2-day SC visits for them to fix the issue. The first trip the SC disassembled the door and checked for water damage and verified the seal was not seated correctly. The replacement part was delayed, so they returned it to me. The Palo Alto SC is so busy they don’t have loaners or space to hold a car until parts arrive. The second SC appointment the did the same thing, but asked for a time stamp of the incident to verify the logs. They replaced the part that allowed for the seal to be seated.

Interestingly enough while they were test it appears the driver door window stayed up and the tech slammed the door. It scraped the Matte black aluminum finish to silver and chipped my Xpel Prime XR Plus tint.

The fit and finish on my Oct 2020 is so bad I’ve had 6 SC visits. I got the apology that the car technology is very complicated. I pointed out all the issues are actually mechanical (2x rear passenger door alignment, 2x frunk not closing now extremely low, steering wheel centered, alignment, rear spoiler, trim staining). End Rant

- Did you go and try the car wash again? I have had the same issue and have to drive 2 hours for Service so trying to determine if it is worth if to have the service. It has done it twice for me now. The first time right as we pulled into the car wash so water was gushing in the whole time and then towards the end of the car wash yesterday. Went to the same car wash 2 times before and never had any issues. Frustrating.

I have not gone to the carwash again. The Y is my wife's car. I asked her about going to the wash again, to test. She has been reluctant but is now more willing because of your request. We will try this week. We will bring towels and one of us will sit in the back to use them, if needed!

I have not gone to the carwash again. The Y is my wife's car. I asked her about going to the wash again, to test. She has been reluctant but is now more willing because of your request. We will try this week. We will bring towels and one of us will sit in the back to use them, if needed!

Appreciate it!! I was thinking of a way that I could secure a garbage bag to catch the water also. The other weird things is we went to the car wash 3 or 4 times with no issue but then the last two times it happened. Did the technician think it was the result of going to the car wash that started the problem or just inconsistent. Appreciate you giving it another try.

I went to the same car wash weekly for a couple months before it happened. Seemed to correspond with the rainy weather during the week and the car wash on weekends. Just too much moister build up? Or did the wiring harness clip just break and unseat the seal? Who knows? After the repair I washed at one of those hand washes where the car goes through the tunnel and people scrub vs the automatic brushes. It still uses the pressure washers and down pour shower for rinse. No issues after the repair.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The SAME exact issue happened to me.... made a video documenting and posted up on YouTube so others would know. As the OP in this thread said, it has to do with the wire harness clips. Tesla ordered a completely new wire harness and the service center is finally replacing mine next week along with a bunch of other delivery quality control issues that still need fixing.

• Informative
Reactions: adayley
The SAME exact issue happened to me.... made a video documenting and posted up on YouTube so others would know. As the OP in this thread said, it has to do with the wire harness clips. Tesla ordered a completely new wire harness and the service center is finally replacing mine next week along with a bunch of other delivery quality control issues that still need fixing.

@RenoMD please keep us posted, hope they get it fixed at your appointment.

Reactions: RenoMD
We have a 2021 November build Y. Same issue, same driver side passenger door.

It first happened a few weeks ago during heavy rain. The door showed it was open and the window rolled down while I was driving on the freeway. I had to pull over and attempted to close the door multiple times. It eventually closed after those multiple attempts.

It happened again about a week or so ago again in the rain. It showed the door open and window rolled down again but it was intermittent and the error eventually went away on its own.

I washed the car today and the same error occurred again. I tried to close the door multiple times to no avail. I inspected around the door and discovered the rubber seal that the wires from the body of the car to the door goes through was not seated properly and some wires were exposed I reseated the seal, closed the door and the error went away immediately. I hope that's the issue.

I didn't get the aired other times I wash the car so I assume the seal unseated at some point

Great car and comfortable to drive but it sure has a lot of quirks and build issues.

Attachments

• PXL_20210204_232503876.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210204_232503876.PORTRAIT.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 140
Appreciate it!! I was thinking of a way that I could secure a garbage bag to catch the water also. The other weird things is we went to the car wash 3 or 4 times with no issue but then the last two times it happened. Did the technician think it was the result of going to the car wash that started the problem or just inconsistent. Appreciate you giving it another try.

We didn’t make it to the car wash this week. I’m sure we will go this coming Thursday or Friday. We are taking a 14-ish hour road trip on Monday. The car will need a wash when we return!

EED2F694-B494-4CAA-8FA6-5E4E486B9935.jpeg
@RenoMD please keep us posted, hope they get it fixed at your appointment.
So they didn’t do anything at the service appointment despite ordering a new door harness and delaying y service appointment by 1.5 weeks waiting for the new part. Mostly Bc they couldn’t reproduce the problem. Obviously I took a video so they could see the problem Bc the damn service center was closed on the weekends. But they said if it happens again they will take apart the door.

well I know what happened but since the water tight seal I pushed back in there hasn’t been any further issues while washing my car. We will see Bc I’m going to power wash it next week.

We have a 2021 November build Y. Same issue, same driver side passenger door.

It first happened a few weeks ago during heavy rain. The door showed it was open and the window rolled down while I was driving on the freeway. I had to pull over and attempted to close the door multiple times. It eventually closed after those multiple attempts.

It happened again about a week or so ago again in the rain. It showed the door open and window rolled down again but it was intermittent and the error eventually went away on its own.

I washed the car today and the same error occurred again. I tried to close the door multiple times to no avail. I inspected around the door and discovered the rubber seal that the wires from the body of the car to the door goes through was not seated properly and some wires were exposed I reseated the seal, closed the door and the error went away immediately. I hope that's the issue.

I didn't get the aired other times I wash the car so I assume the seal unseated at some point

Great car and comfortable to drive but it sure has a lot of quirks and build issues.
View attachment 635556
So they didn’t do anything at the service appointment despite ordering a new door harness and delaying y service appointment by 1.5 weeks waiting for the new part. Mostly Bc they couldn’t reproduce the problem. Obviously I took a video so they could see the problem Bc the damn service center was closed on the weekends. But they said if it happens again they will take apart the door.

well I know what happened but since the water tight seal I pushed back in there hasn’t been any further issues while washing my car. We will see Bc I’m going to power wash it next week.
I had the same issue. I put the seal back and worked fine immediately. I had to reset the auto/up down after. I had mobile service come out to look into this issue along with my driver side windshield washer. They did the same I did which is to reset the switch and test. We had some rain a couple of days ago and there were no issues. I would assume the seal is the culprit and to check periodically if it does come lose again.