TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door misaligned? Am I too picky?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by danwassink, Aug 27, 2018.

1. danwassink

danwassink Member

I just picked up my Model 3 last week Thursday and I am loving it. I just have one thing that I am wondering if I am being too picky on. The rear door on the drivers side looks misaligned. Not by much, but it definitely is off slightly. I tried to get it in a photo. The other side is better aligned but not perfect. Am I being too picky? Is this how they all are?

Thanks for any input!
    - Dan %36Kv%bfTZWKQR6qrJIYVw.jpg L6UjkYmwTgWDFZ%Y4HiEdA.jpg L6UjkYmwTgWDFZ%Y4HiEdA.jpg L6UjkYmwTgWDFZ%Y4HiEdA.jpg

2. mhan00

mhan00 Member

It’s not a big deal, but it shouldn’t be too big a deal to fix either, so talk to the service center. I’m sure they can make some adjustments to align the door a bit better.

3. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

Mine is almost exactly the same (driver side rear door as well). It doesn't bother me, but it's probably easy to fix by adjusting the door. I'll ask them next time I visit a service center, but won't make an appointment just for this.

• Like x 1
  4. danwassink

danwassink Member

After further investigating, it looks like it is an easy fix. They adjust the latch plate. Mobile service can even do it in some cases. I live in Michigan, where Tesla stores and service centers are not allowed, so this was good news to me. I'll request them to take a look at it, but I am not too worried about it any more. Thanks for your input!

• Like x 1
  5. super20g

super20g Member

They'll beat the hinges into submission like they usually do...

i.e.

Attached Files:

6. mekberg

mekberg Member

This is a <10 minute fix by mobile service. They simply loosen the door striker bolts, tap the striker with a rubber mallet, and torque back to spec.

• Informative x 1
  7. brobinson

brobinson Member

I would just start a list of all of the minor things that are sure to pop up as you spend more time in the car. I personally wouldn't schedule a visit just for that, but would have them look at it eventually along with other things.

8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

In surgery there is a warning that "better is the enemy of good" Often in search of perfection other items can be negatively effected.

A slip of a screw driver, an inattentive lot jockey, something happening on the way there or back, etc.

• Like x 2
  9. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

My hinges look the same and the alignment is pretty good, they must have adjusted at fremont or prior to delivery, gonna check if the can touch up the hinges to prevent any surface corrosion

10. roblab

roblab Active Member

More likely this force was applied to move the hinge, where it attaches to the frame, after loosening the bolts. Standard procedure. There is no way this "beating" bent those hinges.

11. super20g

super20g Member

My service center is going to replace the hinge that has tool marks. Said they could also touch up. I said I don't really care as long as it isn't bare metal and the door is alligned.

12. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

I would rather touch up and not risk any damage from a dropped door

13. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

Yeah, that would be my luck. Good news “we fixed the alignment and your hinges” bad news “sorry but your door just slipped from our hands and you need a new one”
    :(

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Mine too they were fixing my first tesla , they adjusted the doors to align them and crashed the driver door edge into the driver side fender chipping both edges

• Like x 1
  15. Michelx

Michelx Member

I don't understand why Tesla stores and service centers are not allowed in Michigan and other states and dealers of foreign cars are.

16. Driver X

Driver X Member

If it bothers you, then get it fixed. I don’t think it’s that bad. If it was on my van, I wouldn’t care. It would bother me on my Vette.

17. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

18. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

Wow, that was quite a few items... Was that AFTER their inspection??? I had to delay delivery because of a paint defect, but I didn't encounter any of what you went through. Given your car is the P3D version, you would think they'd have more attention on it?
    My LR-RWD had only a paint chip.

19. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

@Hkbruin - I had trust they would resolve these issues - and they did. Mine was the only P3D with the performance upgrade package when I took delivery. Although there might have been a P3D sleeper (without the PUP). But Yes, you would think they would give more attention.