Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door not unlocking as I approach the vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Android users experiencing this issue?
Yep, Samsung S22 Android v13.

I have experienced this issue 3 times since taking delivery of my M3 a month ago, so quite rare, but still a bit annoying. It always rights itself after waiting a few seconds.

While I don't have an answer to the issue because phones can have different setups and, let's face it, Bluetooth technology has always been terrible, I can provide a little detail about the technology used to communicate between your phone and Tesla for unlock/lock and drive. The bluetooth used for audio is completely separate, as I explain below.

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
The Tesla app uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to communicate between your phone and car. BLE is a wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN), native to most smartphones, that constantly transmits a low energy signal every 30ms from your phone. The Tesla is always listening for a BLE signal and when detected, the phone authenticates itself with Tesla. If successful, the car is unlocked and ready to drive.

It's important to note that while the BLE is incorporated into the "Bluetooth" technology, it is not the same as the classic Bluetooth used to connect to your car's audio system (or wireless speaker, earbuds, etc.) BLE co-exists with classic Bluetooth, but is independent.

As I said, I have no answers to solve the problem of unlocking the car, but I hope this helps a little to understand what goes on in the background.

If anyone can build on this or provide a solution to the issue, please do. Cheers!

Seeing similar instability in unlocking my 2023 M3R with the iPhone app. Basically it's rolling the dice in whether or not the car will decide to unlock when I approach it.

All the various nuances mentioned here seem ridiculous to deal with (pocket location, distance from car, etc). If it's marketed as a replacement to using the card / keyfob, then it needs to work 100% of the time, with the same ease and confidence of using a good ol car key.

Tesla needs to look into this and fix it.
Agreed. This sucks. I think it is related to the bluetooth radio energy savings on the phone

Seeing similar instability in unlocking my 2023 M3R with the iPhone app. Basically it's rolling the dice in whether or not the car will decide to unlock when I approach it.

All the various nuances mentioned here seem ridiculous to deal with (pocket location, distance from car, etc). If it's marketed as a replacement to using the card / keyfob, then it needs to work 100% of the time, with the same ease and confidence of using a good ol car key.

Tesla needs to look into this and fix it.
I am experiencing the same issue. A few weeks old car, always used to unlock flawlessly but I am experiencing this nowadays (maybe the latest update is the cause).

About 10% of the time my car won't unlock with the handle (it never unlocks when I just walk up to it, perhaps a setting I don't know about). Whenever that happens all I have to do is wake my phone up by pushing the button on the side (iPhone 12) than the door opens. It doesn't require unlocking the phone or going to the Tesla app, simply activating it so the screen lights up. I'm assuming that bluetooth sometimes goes to sleep, despite being set to always on. That would seem to suggest a phone issue, not a Tesla issue, but I'm completely ignorant of how these things work.

Samsung S21 Ultra here. I have found that if the car doesn't unlock, I have to swipe down on the phone to access the quick menu, turn off blue tooth, the tap again to turn it on. That is the quickest fix I've been able to find. I have all the proper settings on the phone so I know it's not the BT configuration.

Samsung S21 Ultra here. I have found that if the car doesn't unlock, I have to swipe down on the phone to access the quick menu, turn off blue tooth, the tap again to turn it on. That is the quickest fix I've been able to find. I have all the proper settings on the phone so I know it's not the BT configuration.
But it is your phone configuration issue. I know in Android, phones like to put apps to sleep, you should go in to whatever area you configure the deep sleep for your apps and put the Tesla app in the "don't put to sleep" or " no super power saving mode".

I almost never have issues on my Pixel 6 Pro. Maybe once a month it doesn't open and it's because I accidentally killed the Tesla app.

Coming back to this old thread, the issue is with having your phone in your back pocket. The bluetooth signal is not strong enough. I just slightly turn myself to allow the phone to be closer to the car and it unlocks every time.

I still think Tesla should fix this long-term in future models by moving the position of the BT receiver, or adding additional receivers.

Happens maybe 50% of the time where I get to the vehicle and the doors remain locked. Sometimes, as I fumble for my phone to send an unlock command, the doors unlock. Other times they don't unless I hit the unlock button on the app. BT is on with the app running in the background

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
In my model 3, the driver door opens most of the time ( not 100%) but the passenger doors and trunk never open. Any suggestions?

Well this is definitely Tesla, when I had my first Model 3 about 4 years ago the car was perfect at opening on approach about 10-15 feet away, never missed in about 14 months, then dreaded update and after that had to do the
Old bum Pat when phone in back pocket, had a few visits to Tesla to no avail, then my mate Joined Tesla (deffo not saying who)and managed to get the truth, Tesla passed update to trigger only at 16 inches.
Exactly same with my Model Y for last year, and unless Tesla change it we will never get back to the 16 or so foot and not get niches.
Come on Elon make it an option on the screen for close for those who want security and long range for those who do not.
Other makers like BMW have this option. So please Elon have your techs guys make it an option.

My friend who works at Tesla that this issue has been reduced some time ago to drastically change the car unlock distance to a minimum for security reasons, well this should just be a drivers option on the main screen as with other issues that has been deemed as a potential security issue.

Presumably due to security concerns of owners, Tesla seems to have made the Bluetooth unlock range less sensitive. I've found that I have to have my phone very close to the B pillar in order for the car to unlock - much closer than previously.
Absolutely correct, my friend who works for Tesla has told me that it was reduced well over 18months ago, but we should have the choice via onscreen options like many other operations of the Vehicle

So we do not have to all be trying different options, test etc to try to fix, It’s only Tesla that can revert this or give it as an option on the screen, like how fast you can set above the speed limit and many more options we have we can decide on.
16foot or 16 inches