Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door opening itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an issue, not a new feature.

On a trip 2 weeks ago to the Mass US, we came out of a restaurant and the right rear door was ajar 2". I thought someone had jimmied it. We got back to B&B and as I got out it opened again (not just unlocked). This went on for 4 days, I set car to not auto open, not to present handles etc. But everytime I unlocked anything except the drivers door the right rear door swung open. A search of the forum reflects silmilar stories back in 13-14 but said it was all solved. Mine is 2015 P85D. I called Lawerence service and they said no appts until November, but also that they had never heard of the problem. They added I could come in and sit on an urgent basis (not happening) None the less once back in Canada it has not happened again.

Go figure

Paranoid much?

Unless you are on some watchlist, I cannot imagine any reason for the NSA to take particular interest in "little ol you".

My $$$ is on some bug, possibly GPS related due to you being out of your home country with your car (we have seen stranger things from Tesla).

Back in 2013 I had this problem with the original door handles on my car, and in fact I had several replacements due to this issue (and a bunch more due to other issues). Eventually they replaced my old style door handles with the newer ones, and it's not happened again. There was a significant design change with the newer door handles; the only ones only had a single microswitch and its alignment was uber-critical. The new design is more robust.

I've not heard of the door opening problem happening with the newer handles.

No, the old problem was mechanical in nature, and cannot happen with the newer handles. It would have to be something different.
I'm sorry, I just don't believe "can't happen". I agree it's far less likely with the redesign, but the new handles, despite a redesign inside still function in the same general way, when force is exerted on the handle, an electronic switch inside the handle pops the door.
For some reason the electronic switch is activating. It's not likely to be the small misalignment from the old handles, but a broken component of some form within the handle could easily still have the same effect.

While a redesign can make it less likely, it is impossible to 100% eliminate this potential failure point without eliminating electronically activated latches.

I'm talking about the cause of the problem, not the effect.

The "old problem" cannot happen the way it was happening, because the mechanism is completely different. The old design used a single switch for two purposes, and it was neigh impossible to align it properly.

That's not to say there can't be a different problem with the new design, such as a defective (or grossly improperly adjusted) switch.

I'm talking about the cause of the problem, not the effect.

The "old problem" cannot happen the way it was happening, because the mechanism is completely different. The old design used a single switch for two purposes, and it was neigh impossible to align it properly.

That's not to say there can't be a different problem with the new design, such as a defective (or grossly improperly adjusted) switch.
My initial post said he needs a new handle. Are you disputing that?
Nowhere did I say the cause was 100% identical, only that it was a similar issue with the same likely remedy.
You don't have to be so argumentative about it.

I was simply replying to the comment, "Which in no way guarantees they aren't suffering from the same old issue." And I disagree with that, because the old handles had a design issue, which was 100% resolved. So it's a different issue.

By the way, the switches aren't "electronic", it's a mechanical microswitch.

Not being argumentative, simply clarifying.

That was not the post to my thread. If the moderator and/or readers cannot get their heads out of the 50's .... I'm outa here. No one touches my content. Have a happy cacooned life. PS how much else of these posts are edited???

Not an Ice

The thread title was meaningless click-bait. It was changed to represent the actual content of the thread. We didn't edit your actual post.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I was simply replying to the comment, "Which in no way guarantees they aren't suffering from the same old issue." And I disagree with that, because the old handles had a design issue, which was 100% resolved. So it's a different issue.

By the way, the switches aren't "electronic", it's a mechanical microswitch.

Not being argumentative, simply clarifying.
I'd "argue" that you are continuing to be argumentative.
The switches perform an electronic function, using mechanical means. calling them electronic is every bit as correct as calling them mechanical. You're being pedantic.
I also maintain that they could in fact be suffering from the same issue despite the improved design, because if they weren't capable of having that issue, you'd also be incapable of opening those doors. Maybe it needs to be further out of spec now to have that same issue than it used to, but I can guarantee you that it could still have the issue.

The previous issue was that the switch was being activated when it wasn't supposed to due to a misalignment.
The new issue appears to be that the switch is being activated when it isn't supposed to due to? well we don't know for sure, but some form of misalignment seems the most likely answer. You yourself seem to discount the "NSA did it" argument, I'm also guessing you don't think it's aliens, or any other conspiracy theory. So if we stick to the car itself, we have hardware or software.
If it were a software issue it would likely affect a lot more cars, so we're left with hardware. There are only so many things that can go wrong here, but based on the description that it happens specifically when the handles extend, and not at other random times, we can likely expect that the issue is in the handle. As the handles solely function as a switch which sends an electronic signal to activate a MECHANICAL (see what I did for you) door release solenoid, it seems highly likely that something is triggering that switch when we don't want it to.
If everything is aligned properly we know that the switch doesn't randomly do this on most cars. So short of a misalignment of some form in there, what do YOU suggest is wrong?

And if you think the failure is within the handle mechanism itself, and not elsewhere, and the suggestion that a new handle is needed is in fact correct, how does the pedantic back and forth help as this is exactly the same solution I'm suggesting?