Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door opening/locking Toggle button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to have the button to open the door function as a toggle open/lock. Press to open door, while door is open, press again to tell car to lock as soon as it is closed.

The walking away auto lock is cool ...but I find myself looking back all the time to make sure someone doesnt hop in before the car gets a chance to lock.

You can open the door and then tap the on-screen lock icon, which seems to put the car into an extra-locked state (it's locked immediately, and walk-up unlock doesn't work; you have to explicitly unlock from the app.) IIRC it also *doesn't* fold the mirrors, which is additionally confusing.

(Disclaimer: I haven't fiddled with this as much as I'd like to -- I don't have full-time access to obsessively fiddle.)

I'd be fine with that -- if walk up unlock still worked once the phone had clearly left and returned. (It might work this way and I wasn't far enough/patient enough -- see disclaimer.) I'd also be okay with your overloading the door button -- it's a non-obvious overload, though, so I can imagine a UX designer objecting.

FWIW, I can't find it again, but I seem to recall someone talking about API responses and mentioning multiple different locked states.

For me that is a very low priority as looking back has not been an issue and I frequently leave my phone in the dock so I often reopen the door anyway.

There was a similar thread recently, where I remarked (in part):

Remote but non-zero. Think of it this way: if I were required to testify under oath whether I'd left (for example) the organization-owned laptop in a locked car, I could answer:
- Yes, the car was locked when I left it.
...or:
- I have reasonable belief the car locked itself after I walked away from the unlocked car.

Which of those is a better answer?

Must do every time I leave the car? No. A reliable recipe needed occasionally? Yes.
[...]
(Personally, I'd also like to have an option to ONLY have the [driver's door/door-the-phone-is-nearest] unlock -- I don't like the current behaviour of the other doors unlocking automatically.)

I would like to have the button to open the door function as a toggle open/lock. Press to open door, while door is open, press again to tell car to lock as soon as it is closed.

The walking away auto lock is cool ...but I find myself looking back all the time to make sure someone doesnt hop in before the car gets a chance to lock.
Yep, I agree. Posted this a year ago.
I think the driver's side interior open the door button could be used as a master unlock/lock button. If the driver's side door is open, pressing that button once would unlock all doors that were still locked, a second press would lock all doors, third press would re-unlock, etc. If the driver's side door is closed, the button is just a regular open the door button. I assume the car locks all doors automatically, if you shift into D or R.

You can open the door and then tap the on-screen lock icon, which seems to put the car into an extra-locked state (it's locked immediately, and walk-up unlock doesn't work; you have to explicitly unlock from the app.) IIRC it also *doesn't* fold the mirrors, which is additionally confusing.

(Disclaimer: I haven't fiddled with this as much as I'd like to -- I don't have full-time access to obsessively fiddle.)

I'd be fine with that -- if walk up unlock still worked once the phone had clearly left and returned. (It might work this way and I wasn't far enough/patient enough -- see disclaimer.) I'd also be okay with your overloading the door button -- it's a non-obvious overload, though, so I can imagine a UX designer objecting.

FWIW, I can't find it again, but I seem to recall someone talking about API responses and mentioning multiple different locked states.

Interesting. IMO I would not want to press button to open and then look back to screen to lock doors. I am already in the motion of pushing door and getting out. I will test it today and see how I feel about that.

Overloading shouldnt be an issue. The right stalk has many functions that if I wasnt obsessed with the car before getting it... i wouldnt have known. So I think a quick explanation in the manual and update screen about lock states would be ok if they were to add this function. Their UX designer should test this hahaha

Overloading shouldnt be an issue. The right stalk has many functions that if I wasnt obsessed with the car before getting it... i wouldnt have known. So I think a quick explanation in the manual and update screen about lock states would be ok if they were to add this function. Their UX designer should test this hahaha

If it were to turn out that the LED in the door button were RGB and could be driven to daylight-visible brightness, that would add some interesting feedback options — but honestly, a glance back at the screen to see a full-screen sized padlock would be enough.