TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door opening/locking Toggle button

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by paulvinh, Jun 28, 2018.

1. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

I would like to have the button to open the door function as a toggle open/lock. Press to open door, while door is open, press again to tell car to lock as soon as it is closed.

The walking away auto lock is cool ...but I find myself looking back all the time to make sure someone doesnt hop in before the car gets a chance to lock.

2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Have you submitted your suggestion to Tesla?

3. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

I will soon. Just wanted to see if anyone else agrees and find that this solution would work for them as well or if they have another suggestion.

4. lairdb

lairdb Member

You can open the door and then tap the on-screen lock icon, which seems to put the car into an extra-locked state (it's locked immediately, and walk-up unlock doesn't work; you have to explicitly unlock from the app.) IIRC it also *doesn't* fold the mirrors, which is additionally confusing.

(Disclaimer: I haven't fiddled with this as much as I'd like to -- I don't have full-time access to obsessively fiddle.)

I'd be fine with that -- if walk up unlock still worked once the phone had clearly left and returned. (It might work this way and I wasn't far enough/patient enough -- see disclaimer.) I'd also be okay with your overloading the door button -- it's a non-obvious overload, though, so I can imagine a UX designer objecting.

FWIW, I can't find it again, but I seem to recall someone talking about API responses and mentioning multiple different locked states.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

For me that is a very low priority as looking back has not been an issue and I frequently leave my phone in the dock so I often reopen the door anyway.

6. lairdb

lairdb Member

There was a similar thread recently, where I remarked (in part):

7. favo

favo Model P3D+ ordered

Yep, I agree. Posted this a year ago.

8. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

Interesting. IMO I would not want to press button to open and then look back to screen to lock doors. I am already in the motion of pushing door and getting out. I will test it today and see how I feel about that.

Overloading shouldnt be an issue. The right stalk has many functions that if I wasnt obsessed with the car before getting it... i wouldnt have known. So I think a quick explanation in the manual and update screen about lock states would be ok if they were to add this function. Their UX designer should test this hahaha

9. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

100% agree. Now you got me thinking of some kind of audio to signify the lock/unlock state. HAHA.

10. lairdb

lairdb Member

If it were to turn out that the LED in the door button were RGB and could be driven to daylight-visible brightness, that would add some interesting feedback options — but honestly, a glance back at the screen to see a full-screen sized padlock would be enough.

11. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

I didnt even think about the light! That would be great too. So many ideas to test for Tesla haha.