Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door panel rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I found and fixed a buzzy rattle in two of my door panels that I haven't seen anyone post about.

I removed a door panel and found a loose washer (I've got my finger on the washer in the picture). The interior leather bolster on the upper area of the door is held to the main door panel by several stainless bolts. Four of those bolts (2 of them off the right of the picture) also hold on the plastic cup that surrounds the interior door handle area. After removing the bolster from the door panel, you can slip in another washer to tighten up that area. After reinstalling the door panel, the buzzy rattle is gone!

Attachments

• 20170510_213403.jpg
    20170510_213403.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 372
Just as a clarification, the door handle cup is sandwiched between the leather-covered bolster and the actual plastic panel. You remove the bolster from the panel. The door handle cup stays attached to the bolster. You just flex the cup away from the bolster a bit and shove a washer in there.

It will make sense once you have it in your hands :)

I have the buzz in my panels also. First service they did nothing, maybe because I was waiting on my car and not leaving it over night. I will leave my car next time and refer to this post on my next service in a month or two.

How long did it take you or how do you think it should take for service tech to make this repair?

I had the same rattle. I also took the door panels apart and just super glued the washer in.

But that did not eliminate all my rattle issues.

Eventually I found out that my biggest rattle was from the retractable rear cup holders inside the center console (December 2016 build). I ended up taping them tightly and the problem is gone. I'll have to ask service center to address the next visit.

@ZERO260 I'm glad you've found my post helpful. It probably took me about an hour to figure it all out and put it back together. If you knew exactly what you were doing it's probably 20 minutes of work.

Btw, I later still found the door panel to creak a bit around the upper bolster. I put some paper between the upper bolster and plastic panel. Now it seems pretty quiet.

I've had a similar rattle that's been driving me crazy. It started about a week after delivery. The car has been serviced 3 times for this rattle (and numerous other problems). Thanks for the post. I'll send this to them for attemp #4.