Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Panel Rattles, Need help / Suggestions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My door panels rattle like an old economy car. I believe this issue started after the body shop painted my doors fixing delivery issues back in October. I have been into service 3 times for rattles.

1) There was a really loud rattle in the trunk, they removed the panel and found a broken clip rattling around in it.
2) I complained about my scratched window (also likely done by the body shop) and something rolling around in my door. They found the circular backing part of a clip (I think) was actually rolling back and fourth in my door.
3) Leave the service center I starting hearing something rolling around in my doors again. This time It was in the front, but then also in the back again. Took it back in for these issues and they pulled both doors and found more broken clips in at least the front door. But I think also in the rear, they also supposedly replaced something in the center console to solve a rattle, but I they did not end me the invoice for this service.

Currently I no longer hear anything rolling around in my doors, but the passenger side does rattle like crazy. it's bad on older ruff streets, but can be hear almost anytime when I'm not on the smooth freeway. It drives me nuts that a $79,500 car rattles so badly. It sounds like I bought an economy car that has been in a wreck.

I'm not sure what to do at this point but I feel these are my options.
1) Remove the door panels myself and try to fix them with new clips and sound deadening material. (not sure where to buy clips) Is there a video or picture tutorial somewhere that shows to how remove the panels without breaking them? This is my favorite option.
2) Buy new door panels. (Looks like around $300 each on ebay, but I can't find one to match my white interior, and I can't find the clips). I don't think tesla will sell me the parts?
3) Lemon the car. While I have spent lots of money on Tint and PPF this option is sounding more like it may be the only way to solve the issue. I feel I have been very patient but taking the tesla in for service every couple weeks is wearing on me. it's too the pint where people at work jokingly ask why I have a model S again every other week...
4) Take it back to service yet again....

BTW, this is what they found in my door that was "rolling around", they said it is part of a clip, but I'm wondering what clip looks like this?
ThingRollingInDoor.jpg

I’ve got a rattle from my rear passenger door panel too.

I’m just paranoid bringing it in to a Tesla service center to fix.
- afraid they’ll scratch the tint (I’ve gotten tint scratched on other cars from two lock box the service department placed on windows)
- afraid they’ll mar the paint with the number cones they put on the car (I’ve seen it in other cars in the spot that dealers put the number cones on... I’m OCD like that)
- afraid they curb the wheels or scratch the bottom of the car since I’ve lowered it... other dealers take care not to damage the underside especially when I tip the service advisor... but after watching the local Tesla service center move cars in and out I don’t think they’ll care
- afraid they’ll scratch up the panels to fix what needs fixing (I’ve seen that happen on my friends Tesla’s)
- afraid they’ll ruin my clear bra or ceramic coating.

If I can get a Tesla ranger to come to do it so I can watch them like a hawk I’ll do that.

Otherwise I need a diy to take the door panel off.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Take it back to service and get them to fix it. I had a screw in the door panel of my Model X when we first got it rattling around.
I can schedule another appointment, however the last time I was there they told me there isn't much they can do for regular rattles (obviously they can remove stuff from inside the doors), and attributed panel rattle to body flex.

Is this just the way model 3's are made? I have not noticed my friends with them complaining. I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 that certainly has some rattles (not in doors panels though), and we have an 2001 highlander no door panel rattles but some others. I also got rid of a 2014 chevy volt that didn't have rattles, and my wifes new volvo didn't have rattles. The cars I owned with lots of rattles were an 89 nissan hardbody, a 91 geo metro and a 98 geo metro. Those things rattles like crazy, but they were old and I expected them to. And those car were WAY cheaper. My ford focus rattled, I bought it certified used, only to find out later it had been in an undisclosed wreck. Even after they fixed something broken in the door panel it rattled a little, but not as bad as my model 3 (granted maybe it did because the 3 is otherwise so quiet).

Sounds like a body shop issue if the rattles didn't start until they disassembled. Did you try taking it back to them? I don't believe lemon law applies to rattles.
I don't have any information on the body shop tesla used to fix their reject cars. I don't think it does directly but what qualifies it is the total number of days it has been in for service within a certain period.

I’ve got a rattle from my rear passenger door panel too.

If I can get a Tesla ranger to come to do it so I can watch them like a hawk I’ll do that.

Otherwise I need a diy to take the door panel off.
All legitimate concerns! When I first had my car re-delivered my center console vinyl was stained from them leaving my key card on it, with a piece of blue masking tape with my name written on it in sharpie. The sharpie soaked into the vinyl. I love the ranger idea. I think I will request that and see how it goes.

edit: Wait a second, how do I schedule service with a ranger? The website only allows me to select a service location.

I can schedule another appointment, however the last time I was there they told me there isn't much they can do for regular rattles (obviously they can remove stuff from inside the doors), and attributed panel rattle to body flex.

Is this just the way model 3's are made? I have not noticed my friends with them complaining. I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 that certainly has some rattles (not in doors panels though), and we have an 2001 highlander no door panel rattles but some others. I also got rid of a 2014 chevy volt that didn't have rattles, and my wifes new volvo didn't have rattles. The cars I owned with lots of rattles were an 89 nissan hardbody, a 91 geo metro and a 98 geo metro. Those things rattles like crazy, but they were old and I expected them to. And those car were WAY cheaper. My ford focus rattled, I bought it certified used, only to find out later it had been in an undisclosed wreck. Even after they fixed something broken in the door panel it rattled a little, but not as bad as my model 3 (granted maybe it did because the 3 is otherwise so quiet).

No our Model 3 has had no rattles. Our Model X had one initially, but has had none since and my Model S still has an occasional dash rattle that SC could not chase down. Generally it seems Teslas are more prone to rattles, but I would not accept it, tell the SC you want it remedied.

Ah ok, so Tesla sent to bodyshop themselves. Yes I would go back to Tesla SC. Rattles are definitely not normal. I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with the panel itself so I wouldn't go to that expense of buying one yourself but rather something behind it in the wrong position or something loose inside. I've removed panels before on other cars...not that hard if you want to really get into it yourself.

Ah ok, so Tesla sent to bodyshop themselves. Yes I would go back to Tesla SC. Rattles are definitely not normal. I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with the panel itself so I wouldn't go to that expense of buying one yourself but rather something behind it in the wrong position or something loose inside. I've removed panels before on other cars...not that hard if you want to really get into it yourself.
Yea I did extensive sound deadening on my Titan, I broke one part though.... You had to kinda slam your palm forward and press down on one part to pop it free, and one side broke when I did it.. I fixed it with fiberglass epoxy, But broke it again later in the future when I had to go back into the panel. Added more epoxy hah. Doors never rattled though. I don't know where all the screws are on the 3.

I hooked up my dashcam to record the rattle. I think it's pretty obvious although much more clear IRL. When I hit the smoother road you can tell it goes away. This is after 4 or 5 attempts to fix the rattles :(

I had a ranger come out and fix a clip that wasn't holding. They also tapped another place that may be missing a clip?
DoorPanelFix.jpg

Here is a video of how to remove the door. Ranger removed it the same way.

Now mine is the passenger side but I don't see this sound dampening in the picture. There also appears to be something on the top clip shown in the video. I don't know if mine has that either.
Missing Sound Dampening.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
I hooked up my dashcam to record the rattle. I think it's pretty obvious although much more clear IRL. When I hit the smoother road you can tell it goes away. This is after 4 or 5 attempts to fix the rattles :(

I had a ranger come out and fix a clip that wasn't holding. They also tapped another place that may be missing a clip?
View attachment 381187

Here is a video of how to remove the door. Ranger removed it the same way.

Now mine is the passenger side but I don't see this sound dampening in the picture. There also appears to be something on the top clip shown in the video. I don't know if mine has that either.
View attachment 381192

I now know how to break down the steering wheel assembly, because I watched the Ranger do it to fix my steer wheel column rattle. It was a tough one to find, too, because the rattle only happened when the column was in certain positions. Dude was really on his game, there, the SC hadn't been able to find it. After he got the wheel off he peeled off the top and bottom covers to the column and coated it all with felt tape.

Maybe I should think about trying to make a video of the procedure? I guess first I need to check around and see if someone already has. The biggest "ah ha!" is how to pop the airbag out at the start via pressing in a two location on the backside of the steering wheel, because there is no way this is obvious from looking at prior to popping it out.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I now know how to break down the steering wheel assembly, because I watched the Ranger do it to fix my steer wheel column rattle. It was a tough one to find, too, because the rattle only happened when the column was in certain positions. Dude was really on his game, there, the SC hadn't been able to find it. After he got the wheel off he peeled off the top and bottom covers to the column and coated it all with felt tape.

Maybe I should think about trying to make a video of the procedure? I guess first I need to check around and see if someone already has. The biggest "ah ha!" is how to pop the airbag out at the start via pressing in a two location on the backside of the steering wheel, because there is no way this is obvious from looking at prior to popping it out.
Well at least someone watched my boring video.

I have another appointment Friday. Try number 5/6!

I just fixed a rattle in my door panel with some felt tape and broke one of the clips in the process, so I feel ya.

Here's a video I made taking the door panel off and reinstalling. Reinstalling is the tricky part where I broke a clip:

Here's where my rattle was coming from and how I fixed it:

Here are some details on the clips. They're $8 each from Tesla (PN 1135147-00-A) so I've been looking for an alternative source. So far no luck:

View media item 119414View media item 119413View media item 119412View media item 119411View media item 119420View media item 119419View media item 119418View media item 119417View media item 119416

Well at least someone watched my boring video.

I have another appointment Friday. Try number 5/6!
Don't sell it short. Tesla is in that weird place where there is effectively no official DIY support, and very little 3rd party repairing outside of the quasi-independent autobody partners. It's mostly ad hoc situation of people figuring stuff out and building up shared knowledge base, which inherently has a lot of gaps right now. The Ranger program is, inadvertently a large leak source. At the Service Centers you can't really be right next to the tech doing the work, so it is Ranger visits that can give clues like this, and then turn into a form to pass on.

I do really need to think about how I would show the steer wheel disassembly, if it fits video or would fit static diagraming better.

I just fixed a rattle in my door panel with some felt tape and broke one of the clips in the process, so I feel ya.

Here's a video I made taking the door panel off and reinstalling. Reinstalling is the tricky part where I broke a clip:

Here's where my rattle was coming from and how I fixed it:

Here are some details on the clips. They're $8 each from Tesla (PN 1135147-00-A) so I've been looking for an alternative source. So far no luck:

Thank you so much. I can already Identify two possible places my wiring is not correct. I hope you don't mind I borrowed some screens for your amazing videos!
DoorPanelIssuesIdentified.jpg

However, I doubt this is the cause of all my rattles but at least it is one thing to fix. Did you watch my video? How did your rattle compare to the sound in my video? I'm considering buying that felt tape and adding some to the top of every clip.

Thank you so much. I can already Identify two possible places my wiring is not correct. I hope you don't mind I borrowed some screens for your amazing videos!
View attachment 381310

However, I doubt this is the cause of all my rattles but at least it is one thing to fix. Did you watch my video? How did your rattle compare to the sound in my video? I'm considering buying that felt tape and adding some to the top of every clip.

My speakers here are junk, so I can't tell much from your video, sorry.

My rattle was intermittent, fairly quiet, and would go away if I pressed on the armrest, if that helps. I've generally had poor luck getting rattles fixed by anyone since they often say they can't reproduce them, so I just DIY unless it's already going in for something else.

My overall impression of the Model 3 door and panels is that they're well-built compared to other cars I've worked on, so I'm confident you can get this sorted out. I think if you just open them up, make sure all the clips are in place and not broken, there are no pieces rattling around, replace any missing clips, make sure all the connectors and wires are in the right spots, tape down anything that moves and could potentially rattle, and carefully re-install without breaking any clips, you'll be back to blissful silence.