Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

door panel safety strap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So another one of my door handles stopped presenting so I got the ev annex rebuild kit and I'm fixing it today. I've done a rear door already today is my first front door.
I get the panel popped off and there is a safety strap holding the damn door panel to the frame. This was not there on the rear door.
And of course it's held in place by a damn rivet because why make it an easily removable item. So now I gotta cut it or drill out a rivet.
What possible reason could there be to have this strap on there?

P_20210320_083925.jpg
P_20210320_083937.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this thread - did you end up cutting the strap? Any down side? Working on the same problem here.
I removed the rivet with a drill and intended on putting a new rivet in but I keep forgetting. So cutting it would be fine I suppose
Why do you need to cut it if you only need to service the door handle?
This was before I knew the window lip thing at the top of the door came off and I could get to the bolt from the top.

Sorry - didn't get notified of these responses! Yeah i can probably just drill it out I suppose.

@KalJoMoS - it just seems if I can remove the door panel I can set it aside where I won't damage it. If the strap stays on, the panel will end up hanging there by a corner and probably being in the way.

Drilling out/re-reveting is probably the best way to go, mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some convoluted safety interlocking mechanism - so yes, overthinking it lol.

I was also wondering why is it attached so (all previous cars I have worked with did allowed to reomove the panel) but decided not to cut or remove it. I managed to mend the handle twice without removing it and it never came to disturb my work. I don’t have any garage or roof over my driveway so I need to fix quickly, can’t leave it in the middle.
Perhaps it’s there for a side collision impact remedy, as the panel would otherwise move inwards.