Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door pocket storage lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, sorry. I assumed ambient light meant the lighting when you open the door. I’ll check it out.

Can that light easily be changed to another color?

I've seen replacement colored LEDs available (I believe on RPM Tesla). They are not cheap however. The door pocket lights are fairly bright, I am considering buying some colored transparent tape to change the color. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4TL6W...colid=LV6KFLUJFWRQ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've seen replacement colored LEDs available (I believe on RPM Tesla). They are not cheap however. The door pocket lights are fairly bright, I am considering buying some colored transparent tape to change the color. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4TL6W...colid=LV6KFLUJFWRQ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Replacement LEDs for the footwells and trunk are easy to do, but I haven't seen replacement bulbs for the pocket lights, and they don't look accessible anyway. I think you have to remove multiple pieces of the door trim to get to them. RPM Tesla has some stick on colored film covers for the pocket lights and they look horrible. Jump to 2:00 in the video to see them. Don't recommend buying anything from RPM Tesla anyway--customer service is notoriously bad.

Last edited:
Replacement LEDs for the footwells and trunk are easy to do, but I haven't seen replacement bulbs for the pocket lights, and they don't look accessible anyway. I think you have to remove multiple pieces of the door trim to get to them. RPM Tesla has some stick on colored film covers for the pocket lights and they look horrible. Jump to 2:00 in the video to see them. Don't recommend buying anything from RPM Tesla anyway--customer service is notoriously bad.

Thanks. I wasn't aware door pocket lights are not easily replaceable. Those pocket light slides are horrendous - and $20 and only if you buy the LEDs (unless I am missing something). I prefer my idea of transparent colored tape better - looks cleaner and it's cheaper.

I have ordered stuff from RPM and overall happy with their products. The customer service is bad but feel it has more to do with being woefully understaffed than not caring - I feel the M3 customer (especially the early adapters) are buying more accessories for their cars than the S&X buyers and RPM hasn't ramped up for the additional demand.

Thanks. I wasn't aware door pocket lights are not easily replaceable. Those pocket light slides are horrendous - and $20 and only if you buy the LEDs (unless I am missing something). I prefer my idea of transparent colored tape better - looks cleaner and it's cheaper.

I have ordered stuff from RPM and overall happy with their products. The customer service is bad but feel it has more to do with being woefully understaffed than not caring - I feel the M3 customer (especially the early adapters) are buying more accessories for their cars than the S&X buyers and RPM hasn't ramped up for the additional demand.
Alternatively, I just used a strip of scotch tape over the door pocket light and colored it in with a red sharpie. Worked just fine. $2 fix.