Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door post covering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been several occasions when entering my Model 3 (especially wearing a bulky jacket) that my shoulder hits the post covering which comes loose. I have been able to "snap" it back into place. A friend drove my car last week and dislodged it even further. Anyone experience this? Is there a more permanent solution?

I have a similar problem. The "post covering" as you refer to it, hasn't exactly come loose, but I've noticed a gap of about a half inch between the decorative trim and the actual structural element. When I press on the trim, I can close that gap, but as soon as I release the pressure, the gap reappears. I just noticed it about a month ago. I bought the car in September of 2020 and am not sure if it was there to begin with or happened because I kept brushing up against it as I got in and out of the car. I haven't contacted Tesla yet, but I will at some point. In the meantime, I now get in the car ass first, sitting down on the seat and then swiveling my legs into the car. That avoids any contact with the post.

It might help to get feedback if the problem was more clearly described. “Post” is usually referred to as “pillar”, and there is an “A” and a “B” pillar on each side. Also, there is an “interior” and “exterior” side of each pillar. So using these terms (ex. “the interior covering of the diver’s side A pillar is loose”), what is the problem? Can you take a pic and attach it here?

Reactions: calidreamz808
I had that exact same problem this weekend. A friend got in and out of the car, totally dislodged the trim covering the driver side pillar. (it's the trim all around the seat belt adjustment). Anyway, it took me a good bit to snap everything back into place. But, it is a poorly fitting piece, the clips do not hold it tight. I looked at the passenger side, and same thing. This is the first part of my '21 M3P where I've been super unhappy with build quality.

It might help to get feedback if the problem was more clearly described. “Post” is usually referred to as “pillar”, and there is an “A” and a “B” pillar on each side. Also, there is an “interior” and “exterior” side of each pillar. So using these terms (ex. “the interior covering of the diver’s side A pillar is loose”), what is the problem? Can you take a pic and attach it here?
Fair enough, so to clarify my posting, the problem is with the trim on the interior side of the pillar between front and back doors on the driver's side of the car.

I have experienced the same problem several times. There is an extra long clip inside the trim that can get pulled all of the way out. You have to pull the trim out pretty far and lift up on the clip to get it back in it’s receptacle (hole) or the trim will not fit back snugly. One my pet peeves with the car.