Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door release breaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said they tried that. Error messages were # 409, 981, 1067 and 1085[/QUOTE
From the NE to Gruber is over $2k round trip... not something you would do casually. Mine has been there since February for major brain surgery.
True. Mine had a lobectomy, Brazilian butt lift, breast job, and heart surgery...was at Gruber's for several months. She's at home with me now. She's perfect!

I went to Tyson's in N. Va., but that's not very relevant, since NONE of the SC know how to do anything but replace with refurbished parts, no matter what the problem is. That's why I decided to sell it back to Tesla - if they knew how to repair it would have been different. Way too much hassle to send it across the country to Gruber, not to mention that considering Tesla never even tried to charge the battery up, so I could have ended up with a repaired PEM but a dead battery. So, I signed it over Friday:(. BTW - it really ticked me off that they mail a check - any other company pays you on the spot when you sign over the title.:mad: Wait and see - they'll take forever to send the check. My trust in Tesla has gone to ZERO.

Meanwhile, I have a Clipper Creek 70 amp HPWC, both of H.C. Sharp's cans, and the hardtop - painted Glacier Blue - in its case with all mounting hardware. (The hardtop came with a tiny scratch by the drivers door that I never repaired.) If someone is close enough to pick up in person I will accept a reasonable offer. I do not have the skills to disconnect the HPWC, so that would have to be detached from the circuit and unmounted by the purchaser. I'm not going to ship either one - too bulky. Maybe I'd mail the Can Jr./Sr, but I'd prefer cash on pickup in person for any of the items.

Last edited:
I am also on the NE, north jersey. Which SC do you go to? Sorry about the issues!
Hi Seth: I reported our comments to Pete at GMC and he said his staff was rolling on the floor laughing at our descriptions. At least somebody had a good lauch about my Roadster travails!
1291 is all fixed now and good to go. Firmware issues, CIC board issues, all fixed. PEM and CIC boards rebuilt. I cant wait to drive my baby another 10 years.

I am also on the NE, north jersey. Which SC do you go to? Sorry about the issues!
EPARES: I use the Milford, CT SC. They are TERRIFIC. They have 2 original techs there who have worked on my car from the day the SC opened here and only Roadsters were on the road, and this was the first SC outside NYC. I believe they have more Roadster experience than anywhere else in the NE. At 10 years old I feel you may have to bite the bullet and do the PEM hardware rebuild at Gruber.

I drove a green Roadster in late 2010 that Michael Sexton brought up to me in New Haven form the NY sales office to entice me to buy my red car. I don't know the VIN... but it did the job and I ordered had my car #1291. I don't think its yours since the wheels are different.
IMG_0091.JPG

I drove a green Roadster in late 2010 that Michael Sexton brought up to me in New Haven form the NY sales office to entice me to buy my red car. I don't know the VIN... but it did the job and I ordered had my car #1291. I don't think its yours since the wheels are different.View attachment 583289

Could be 1038.

Color & CF are a match and, iirc, it started life as a NY demo car.

I went to Tyson's in N. Va., but that's not very relevant, since NONE of the SC know how to do anything but replace with refurbished parts, no matter what the problem is. That's why I decided to sell it back to Tesla - if they knew how to repair it would have been different. Way too much hassle to send it across the country to Gruber, not to mention that considering Tesla never even tried to charge the battery up, so I could have ended up with a repaired PEM but a dead battery. So, I signed it over Friday:(. BTW - it really ticked me off that they mail a check - any other company pays you on the spot when you sign over the title.:mad: Wait and see - they'll take forever to send the check. My trust in Tesla has gone to ZERO.

Meanwhile, I have a Clipper Creek 70 amp HPWC, both of H.C. Sharp's cans, and the hardtop - painted Glacier Blue - in its case with all mounting hardware. (The hardtop came with a tiny scratch by the drivers door that I never repaired.) If someone is close enough to pick up in person I will accept a reasonable offer. I do not have the skills to disconnect the HPWC, so that would have to be detached from the circuit and unmounted by the purchaser. I'm not going to ship either one - too bulky. Maybe I'd mail the Can Jr./Sr, but I'd prefer cash on pickup in person for any of the items.
Could be 1038.

Color & CF are a match and, iirc, it started life as a NY demo car.
Has to be it. Small world.

Seth - I want to buy your Can SR. Please email me directly to discuss [email protected]

Can Sr. is now spoken for. The other items remain available.

A little side note: Tesla finally told me, after over a week of me asking where my check was, that they take 4 - 6 weeks to pay out. Kind of tacky to not reveal that upfront, in my opinion.

Well, it's been over six weeks, no check from Tesla:mad:. The guy who said 4-6 weeks is not helpful. The person who made the buyback offer has never responded to me at all. I am wondering if anyone has any contacts at Tesla or advice as to next steps. I'd greatly appreciate any input. Very frustrating, to say the least! Thanks in advance!

The offer was $41,200 BTW. Not bad considering the PEM needing repair plus the fact it had been in an accident a few years ago. I thought this would be easier than a private sale... Wrong.

Last edited:
Seth: I received my 1291 Roadster from Gruber 2 weeks ago after a 7 month stay. It was worth it. I can now drive it with confidence and am back in my love affair with the vehicle. From CT it was about $1,400 to transport the car each way. The PEM rebuild was charged at the price in their literature. IMHO I believe that if you invest under $10k in the car you will have it working for another 10 years. The $10k investment should appreciate quickly. There are so few Roadsters left! I see cars at the auto auctions that were built in greater numbers going for more.

I think we have strayed fomr the original title of the thread, but good luck and hope you find a comfortable solution. PS the SC in Milford, CT has some techs who were there when Roadster was the only vehicle and you might have a better shot there.