Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience with the Basenor door seal kits sold on Amazon? This particular vendor has sold a lot and the reviews don't suck, which is notable for door seals! I believe the purpose is not to deaden interior sound, but rather, to keep the door jams cleaner and make for nicer "slam".

Anyway, I'm prepared to purchase the Basenor product and am looking for review from a community member. Thanks!

Jeff

I have installed the basenor kit and honestly there is a lot of room for improvement. First the p-shape seal at the bottom of both door, it is NOT continuous. I would think that if you really want to keep the door sills clean that the p-shaped seal should be continuous with no breaks. The basenor kit it comes in two pieces and there is a gap between the front door and rear door where water can get into. Secondly at the very top between the doors, there is a gap where water can enter, again another source of debris, basenor doesn't provide anything for that gap but they should. If I had to redo it, I would get the seals and make a custom kit.

• Informative
Reactions: Zerosky
I have installed the basenor kit and honestly there is a lot of room for improvement. First the p-shape seal at the bottom of both door, it is NOT continuous. I would think that if you really want to keep the door sills clean that the p-shaped seal should be continuous with no breaks. The basenor kit it comes in two pieces and there is a gap between the front door and rear door where water can get into. Secondly at the very top between the doors, there is a gap where water can enter, again another source of debris, basenor doesn't provide anything for that gap but they should. If I had to redo it, I would get the seals and make a custom kit.
I am contemplating getting this but have a question about the drain hole cutting. Did you do this? And if so can you provide any insight? Thanks!

Nogasmn,
Getting the seals separately and making your own kit, I think, will not be satisfying. The reviews on available seals are aweful. "Chinese junk" is what I commonly see. The adhesive is poor and separates soon after application. The seals arrive folded (not coiled) and have permanent creases after unfolding.

bigroo42,
I have the same concern you do, specifically, cutting a gap for the drain hole and the downline issues that would create.

I have this installed. Its ok. Like 4/5. After a car wash you will still find lots of soap in the door jams, kind of to be expected but it was more than I thought, if water gets through then dust and dirt will still be an issue.

But they do reduce road noise, there are youtube videos that prove this. And best of all it does make the closing of the doors sound much better. Previously it was a bit tinny, almost cheapish, now it sounds more confident, hard to explain.

Reactions: bigroo42
Nogasmn,
Getting the seals separately and making your own kit, I think, will not be satisfying. The reviews on available seals are aweful. "Chinese junk" is what I commonly see. The adhesive is poor and separates soon after application. The seals arrive folded (not coiled) and have permanent creases after unfolding.

Not sure what kit you got but mine came nicely coiled and each piece was labeled in its own bag. The kit also came with adhesive promoter which made a huge difference.

Reactions: comraddan
I have this installed. Its ok. Like 4/5. After a car wash you will still find lots of soap in the door jams, kind of to be expected but it was more than I thought, if water gets through then dust and dirt will still be an issue.

But they do reduce road noise, there are youtube videos that prove this. And best of all it does make the closing of the doors sound much better. Previously it was a bit tinny, almost cheapish, now it sounds more confident, hard to explain.
This is what I'm after. The close of the door is very cheap sounding. Lol

The kits come with an adhesion promoter...way more than you’ll need.

I have the kit in question installed on my model 3. It didn’t make my car any quieter on the highway. It does appear to make the skills cleaner and it sounds better when closing the door. (Didn’t hinder door closing by any noticeable amount).

I’d probably install again knowing what I now know. Just use a sharp blade or sharp scissors to cut the drains out. No biggie.

It came coiled and is high quality from what I can tell. Installed and zero issues thus far (S Texas heat).

I got the "Womdee" kit from Amazon. It was every bit the cheap Chinese crap I expected for $20. The adhesive has 3M on the backing covering it, but it for sure isn't 3M. Already has started to fall off in some areas, so I used real 3M tape and it for now is holding up. I'd say there is maybe a noise reduction of a few percent, but more important to me was keeping my door sills clean and reducing the dust and water intrusion. I'd say on that front they reduced the dirt but about 70%, which is pretty good.

just installed the Basenor version. My thoughts:
1. parts of it are very difficult to install. no idea if i did it correctly. watched a few you tube videos on it but still couldn't really tell if i did the a pillar correctly. that one was most definitely the hardest.

2. cutting the drain holes were not easy in my experience. However, i admittedly suck at installing anything in my car (i had the PPF guy install my screen protector, for god sakes).

3. my rear passenger door closes all the way, like it should....however, when you push the handle to open it, its very evident that there is something pushing against it making it make a 'pop' sound and open pretty quickly and jarringly. not the end of the world, and i'm sure noone who's never opened a m3 door would even notice. but i checked the other rear door and it's markedly different. i'm assuming the curve towards to top of the door, i got the stripping too taut. and that is making it resist against the door.

4. can't tell any noticeable difference with the sound/quality of the door closing. still sounds shallow and tinny, if you will.

haven't taken it out on the road yet, but road noise reduction was my secondary motivation for installing this kit. (making the doors sound better, believe it or not, was 1st).

overall, wouldnt but it or recommend it. not because the kit itself is subpar, but i think it's just not worth it. just my .02

I bought the one with Goloho brand. It took me about 1.5 hours to install it (install instruction not great, but youtube reviews helped), I can tell the quality of the door closing sound is improved, and the higher frequency road noise has reduced quite a bit, very happy with about $32 and 1.5 hours that I spent.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T58JDM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've seen other kits that include the trunk and frunk seal, but a youtube review showed that those seals don't seem to reduce road noise anymore after you install the door seals.

The sound difference may not be measurable at lower speeds (it is measurable over 70 mph), but there is definitely a noticeable difference at any speed. After installing the kit, the road noise is only audible through the bottom of the car, which gives it a muffled characteristic. It no longer sounds like you're surrounded by road noise. The improvement was good enough that it regularly caught my attention even when I was not listening for it, so I knew I hadn't placebo'd myself.

I noticed a slight difference in how shutting the door sounds. It is definitely a lower pitch, but not by much in my opinion. You're not going to get that deep thump with extra door seals.

I installed all four door seals at the very edge which will run it under the drain holes. I did not make any cuts for the drain holes.

Also, you can use the leftover A-pillar material for the gap at the bottom of the front and rear doors (under the B-pillar).

Last edited:
Also, you can use the leftover A-pillar material for the gap at the bottom of the front and rear doors (under the B-pillar).

I wondered if this was possible.... Or if it would interfere with the closing of the door too severely. Maybe this difference in placement adds to your level of road noise reduction. It makes sense that it would.

That was my biggest question mark.... Where exactly to install the seals in terms of how much over lap over the bottom of the door. Ahhhhhh well.