Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Slam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with your sentiments entirely. Mrs door banger should pay for the damage. The downside with the body ship is I lose the car for a week, they dismantle it and spray a lot of the car that doesn't need to be sprayed with risk it may look, to the trained eye like it is concealing a much bigger repair. The dent on the door is pretty small and spraying half the car seems overkill.

However, I haven't decided what to do yet. I;m just getting all the facts. I have spoken to LV, they will pursue the other side and my NCB will remain intact so keeping this as an option.

After chatting to local SC this morning, I'm taking car in so they can assess mirror damage on thursday morning. That will likely be expensive to repair so this will have to go through insurance.
is it a lease/PCP? If you don't get it fixed perfectly it will end you costing you if you hand it back

is it a lease/PCP? If you don't get it fixed perfectly it will end you costing you if you hand it back
Not on a lease/PCP, bought outright by my company so not handing it back. If it was a lease then I would go straight to body shop through insurance, for the reasons you give.

I do really like the car, and plan to keep it for a long time, say 5+ years. Although I said that about my last M3 and then traded it in after 18 months for a new one :rolleyes:

I'll be chatting to my insurers again after the door mirror is diagnosed and see what they have to say. I can feel a claim coming on...

It's possible it might clip back together, but I doubt it, not if you've already tried and it comes apart with your fingernail.

As said that part doesn't exist in the parts catalogue as a separate item, so I suspect Tesla will say you'll need a new wing mirror.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 17.56.57.png

• Informative
Reactions: curmudgeon
I agree with your sentiments entirely. Mrs door banger should pay for the damage. The downside with the body ship is I lose the car for a week, they dismantle it and spray a lot of the car that doesn't need to be sprayed with risk it may look, to the trained eye like it is concealing a much bigger repair. The dent on the door is pretty small and spraying half the car seems overkill.

However, I haven't decided what to do yet. I;m just getting all the facts. I have spoken to LV, they will pursue the other side and my NCB will remain intact so keeping this as an option.

After chatting to local SC this morning, I'm taking car in so they can assess mirror damage on thursday morning. That will likely be expensive to repair so this will have to go through insurance.

Proper modern panel and paint repairs are expensive but they can also be superb ... every bit as good as new ... (famous last words of course but I had a couple that were absolutely indistinguishable from the car as new).

Being without the car is a pain, but you should be able to get a courtesy car at the other party's insurance expense.

BUT, as I'm sure you know, ANY claim, even if its not your fault, is gonna affect your insurance going forward so I can totally understanding wanting to go an alternative route.

Very frustrating situation.

My preference is to go for a localised repair instead of bodyshop for the door.

Does anyone have any experience of such jobs
I can highly recommend Darius of Dent Division (Paintless Dent Removal Belfast - Dent Division NI) to deal with the dent. He has a base at Moneyreagh, Co. Down, but also provides mobile service.

He has (almost magically) sorted dents for me on two separate occasions - brought them back to perfection. He will buff out light scratches, but I’m not sure that he will do touch up paint.

Worth a call?

• Informative
I’ve had this done twice to me last year,
aluminium door panels drive up the cost. First one was £1200 and the second was £800, both through Tesla approved bodyshop repair centres who give lifetime warranty on the repairs which helps as I intend to keep the car a long time. Thankfully I was able to claim off the third party’s insurance and both came with replacement hire cars.

• Informative